Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Behavioral therapy

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 7 Replies
We are going to do behavioral therapy once a week for 5 weeks 3 hours each session with my son who dx with high functioning autism. Can anyone tell me what to expect and if you think it would be a good idea to include my 8 yr old aspie daughter. Any input anyone has would be great. Thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM

BUMP- not sure what to expect BUT hoping you get some advice/answers :)  And that the therapy goes well <3

Familyart
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Thanks, I'm a little nervous but know we need help!

Quoting takeitall13:

BUMP- not sure what to expect BUT hoping you get some advice/answers :)  And that the therapy goes well <3

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I know Exactly how you feel  BIG HUGS  <3

Quoting Familyart:

Thanks, I'm a little nervous but know we need help!

Quoting takeitall13:

blessedhappymom
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM
We start on March 4th. I'm really excited because it will be in a school setting specifically for kids with autism.

I'm not sure exactly what to expect, but everything I've heard are all great things!

Well, they did give me a problematic behavior inventory form to complete and they asked me what goals I'd like him to accomplish and requests he will and will not comply with.
MommaHubbard
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

My son is attending ABA therapy full-time. I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not.....sorry! I'm sure that they will be helpful though. The BcABA and ABA who work with my ds gave him an evaluation to determine what he needs to work on, along with all the forms I filled-out and he has been attending full-time for 2 weeks and was attending after-school for 2 weeks prior to that so he felt comfortable with him before he was evaluated. Their big focus is helping my ds learn how to tie his shoes and handle his extreme issue with imperfectionism (hahaha, sometimes I think I could benefit from some ABA therapy too!).

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM
What types of things are you hoping to work on?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

We do ABA 5 days a week for 2 hours each day. The tutor works on different things. Right now he is working on This then That and Wait. He also is being helped on his meltdowns with transitioning between things. they are working on sorting cutting and coloring. We are in the process of adding potty training. The tutor helps to teach me skills to handle meltdowns. There really is so much more that they do I could be writing all day. My ds has come a long way since starting ABA. He has more speech, can request things, uses pretend play, counts and recognizes his number 1-10 he knows the ABCs and can recognized some letters. He will be 3 in April. Good luck with the ABA momma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN