Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Troubling news at IEP meeting

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 12 Replies

We had our 6 month IEP meeting yesterday and I got some troubling news from ds's sp ed teacher. She said that she is really looking for them to change is IEP from being listed as severe learning delays to severe learning disabilities. She stated he is just not getting phonics and word recognition. He has been trying to learn the same 5 sight words since the beginning of the school year. He cannot seem to remember them. He can remember the order of certain letters, in other words he makes good grades on his spelling test but he has to have a lot of guidance to do it. He just can't get the letters to come together to form the words when it comes to reading them. Does anyone know a program maybe a free one online that I can use to help him learn? I am not giving up on him and neither is his teacher but she said she does want me to be aware of the difficulties he is having. Oh and he is in the first grade (7yrs old).

Cindy Jean   

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Cindy, this can be a good thing if it gets him better help with his reading skills. There are many different levels to Special Education services and therapies (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) out there. I know that I had troube with phonics because there are so many different rules to them which made it hard to remember all of them at times. You might want to read up on http://www.ldonline.org/.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

BUMP, I'm not sure but I know that Michigans Macomb County site has some free learning tools for Learning Disabilities, Early Intervention, etc--- I found it looking for a number for my friend, I haven't tried to download anything yet though

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM

There are great videos on youtube that teach english to kids from japan and such. They are cute because they have songs and pictures to go with them, they really help my daughter, and she doesn't even realize she's learning.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with Dawn! With a more severe diagnosis SHOULD come more aggressive therapies! For now, look at it as a good thing and see if they work a little harder with him now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Hugs mama!  I have no experience with that as my son is nowhere near this level..I wish you the best though:)

TeapotHot
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Does he have trouble writing? What if he typed them? Just a thought. My daughter is 7, she can't say her abc's , but she can read. 

GOBryan
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM

It's not necessarily a bad thing. It could be that they are using the wrong method to teach him and a more developed plan will be the way to go for him to get it. It's the difference between a good therapist and a bad one or a bad plan vs. the right one. 

kittycat813
by KristyAnne on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM

that is good a good thing my dd is going through the same thing. so just keep and contact with them and help you're dd out has much has you can. my dd is 7 and 1st grade

my name is KristyAnne

cindyjean68
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Thanks for the  advice everyone. I guess I can see what you mean by being a good thing. But I broke down crying at the meeting. It was just so hard to hear how your child has to struggle with something so hard when it comes so easy to most kids. All the other kids in his class can read whole books and he can't even read a whole sentence. I am just so worried about what kind of future he will have. What if he never learns to read??? I know I am  being negative, and still not giving up, but the thought is still there.

Cindy Jean   

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Hugs

Do you guys have an iPad? Does the school have one? I would attempt push to make the school buy him one. There are SO many apps that teach letters and sounds. If you "like" the Technologies in Education page on fb, they have free apps everyday.

Quoting cindyjean68:

Thanks for the  advice everyone. I guess I can see what you mean by being a good thing. But I broke down crying at the meeting. It was just so hard to hear how your child has to struggle with something so hard when it comes so easy to most kids. All the other kids in his class can read whole books and he can't even read a whole sentence. I am just so worried about what kind of future he will have. What if he never learns to read??? I know I am  being negative, and still not giving up, but the thought is still there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)