Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

First ABA session SUCKED...

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 43 Replies

Ok, so I had high hopes I suppose, we have been waiting 9 months to start, but I feel really disappointed. Violet started ABA today and we got into the place, all was fine, she was happy. Well, we shook hands with the woman doing her therapy and she lead us into her office. When Violet is in a new place it takes her time to take it all in, and she doesn't like to be put on the spot, especially from people she doesn't know. I was told that today would just be a half hour of introduction and we could talk about scheduling and I could ask questions etc.

Well...she just jumped right in, we had literally just shut the door and she was pulling apart a puzzle and telling Violet to put the pieces in. Of course Violet wanted nothing to do with it, she hadn't even had a moment to look around. So Violet sits down beside me and starts scanning the walls. So then she pulls out bubbles, nope. Then she pulls out the iPad, well of course Violet likes the iPad because she uses it at home. Problem is, the therapist just wanted her to say what was in the picture, not to go to other apps. Yeah, so Violet says "pig" all pissed off because she can't play with the iPad and then she sits back down. So therapist gives her the iPad, and Violet starts scanning through her apps. So for some reason she only had like 10 kids apps, most of them not the full version, so she spent the next 10 minutes watching Violet click through the apps, trying to buy the full versions and having therapist say "no don't click that" and the frustration was just building, even for me! Buy the damn apps, they're like $2.00 maybe!!

So she gives up on the iPad, and asks me what my goals are. Well, I said Violet has no problem speaking, she knows many words, she knows what they mean but just doesn't speak in sentences, so my goal is to get Violet to communicate better I say. So she says to me "Well that's just autism, that's what it is, so that's like a life long goal" ...Ok, so I'm thinking what the hell are you good for?!

Anyways at this point Violet is pulling me toward the door and whining to get out, and therapist is saying "its too bad she can't tell you what she wants" and I'm like, ok well I can tell what she wants, she wants to go! She wanted to know what a motivation would be for her, like a food, and I don't really like the idea of using food to perform, to me its like training a dog and sets one up for food issues in life (just in my opinion) Its hard because what Violet likes one day, she won't like the next necessarily. I said I could bring pork rinds and bubbles, but that may or may not motivate her. She's not motivated by food.

Lastly I was explaining about how I use PECS with Violet and have drawn the cards and made a board and she's very good with it, saying what each card is when she hands it to us now and has become more verbal because of it. Well therapist says that I should use Proloquo2Go on her own dedicated iPad. Like I'm supposed to buy her another iPad??!! And then pay $200 for the app, I dont think so. And why would I want her to use an app which communicates for her when she is already speaking what is on her cards? So I said that was not my goal, I want her to verbalize, not to use the computer. OK. So the last thing she says to me is that she can put together a proper PECS board for me, with actual pictures of things on a nice board. Are you kidding me? My board is nice. Is it not better that Violet is able to recognize drawn pictures representing things, rather than the actual thing, its abstract thinking and using her imagination more?

Sorry this is so long winded, I just felt really let down after today, I hope it gets better. I just needed to vent, I just fear that Violet will lose her self confidence & happiness. She has been doing so amazingly well in my opinion for the last year. Frustrating.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM
8 moms liked this

This is Violet's PECS board I made

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Those look great. I can tell what each one of those are. I absolutely love the bears kissing

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't believe the ABA was so cold towards your daughter. I know that when the tutor and the ABA came to my house the first time. They observed my son mostly and just asked me questions. The first week the tutor was in my house she would just play with my son. She would follow his lead. She explained to me that she liked to work this way so that the child comes to know her. So she spent that first week 2 hours a day 5 days that week getting to know my son. I could tell she really loved her job and working with kids within that first week. My son absolutely loves her. As soon as she comes in the house he tells me bye bye and goes upstairs to our bonus room to work on the stuff with her. I really hope things get better for you. I hope the woman isn't too hard on Violet (love her name btw)

VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Yeah,unfortunately we have to go to her office too, as we had found with her speech therapist she always seems to do better in home, but the ABA apparently has to happen at a community centre. Violets used to play therapy too, like no pressure but just following her lead. I wish this therapist was like that too. I guess I'll just see how it goes, if its not working then I guess we just try something else. Its frustrating.

Quoting JTMOM422:

I can't believe the ABA was so cold towards your daughter. I know that when the tutor and the ABA came to my house the first time. They observed my son mostly and just asked me questions. The first week the tutor was in my house she would just play with my son. She would follow his lead. She explained to me that she liked to work this way so that the child comes to know her. So she spent that first week 2 hours a day 5 days that week getting to know my son. I could tell she really loved her job and working with kids within that first week. My son absolutely loves her. As soon as she comes in the house he tells me bye bye and goes upstairs to our bonus room to work on the stuff with her. I really hope things get better for you. I hope the woman isn't too hard on Violet (love her name btw)

VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Thanks! Its cute when she hands me that one and wants a smooch! Love that!

Quoting JTMOM422:

Those look great. I can tell what each one of those are. I absolutely love the bears kissing

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

JCKitten87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Wow, that doesn't seem right. My daughter hasn't had ABA but she's been in speech for almost 3 years... If the therapist keeps on like that I'd definitely have a calm talk with her and if it doesn't improve, are there other therapist??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Sorry u had a stressful time and Violet too.   My DS ASD 5yo did 1yr ABA last yr at the therapist's.  His 1st visit was  3 hour assessment ,called ABBLS.  They played,and she asked DH and i a million questions from health history etc.  She had him verbalizing"break"in minutes.  I was so amazed.  Sometimes it is hard to find a motivator for the kiddo.  But it truly has to be their "paycheck"something vry desirable. food was no motivator for DS,but certain toys that the ABA therapist were very motivating,certain songs to sing,certain tickles,being spin around in her arms or my DH throwing him upin the air and catching him.  for DS it really did help with following directions,communicating.  We would go see"B."in "her office withthe elevator",DS loves elevators.  Even drawing was a big motivator,"B"would ask questions or ask DS to follow simple instructions and she'd slowly draw an elevator scene to his liking,a Mom, a stroller,etc .Give it more time.GL

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Did you draw the picture cards ? They look neat. I was given picture cards today to use at home on his go talk. She put them on a paper clip cause they that small.  Sorry about your aba not going well.  We asked about aba for our son today. Ya no one in town does it. 45 minutes to another town for aba and they only know about one person that does it. And we got told it not cheap. We just wanted to know about it. We just don't understand a lot of kids have it. Then why not have more people that know how to do this. Kind of like ot and speech. Too many kids have autism and not many people going to school to learn aba. We don't know when we can get him speech. Too many kids on waiting list. 

VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Yes, I drew those cards myself, I find the picture cards they usually work with are too small, and I'm an artist, so I figured why not draw them myself! They really do work, my daughter has been able to communicate so much better since I've started using them. Its not just her handing them to me, she says what is on the cards now too and really understands what they are.

We have 2 hours a week of ABA covered by the govt. here in Canada, but the official recommended amount of therapy is actually 40 hours (as if) so if we want more hours, we would have to pay someone. These ABA sessions are about 20 minutes away, so its not too bad I guess. It seems like in the US there are some schools which have ABA classes, we don't have that here in Canada that I know of. I guess you have to be living in just the right place to get proper services, unfortunately.

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Did you draw the picture cards ? They look neat. I was given picture cards today to use at home on his go talk. She put them on a paper clip cause they that small.  Sorry about your aba not going well.  We asked about aba for our son today. Ya no one in town does it. 45 minutes to another town for aba and they only know about one person that does it. And we got told it not cheap. We just wanted to know about it. We just don't understand a lot of kids have it. Then why not have more people that know how to do this. Kind of like ot and speech. Too many kids have autism and not many people going to school to learn aba. We don't know when we can get him speech. Too many kids on waiting list. 

desperatemom123
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM
3 moms liked this
That's horrible. But it sounds like our experience with the therapist's that came to our house when my son was younger before his autism diagnosis. He was a behavioral therapist? It was a joke. They didn't listen to us either. But learned experience now I,m going to tell you, follow your instincts. She isn't right for you or your daughter find someone else. You need to do what's best for her. Your chart is awesome by the way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN