Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Public places

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

So we took my 6 & 3 yr old ds's to the mall, out to eat, then to BJs. We didn't have one meltdown, no screaming, no running off. It was great. They both did so well today, out in public. I wish it could be like  that every time we go out. 

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Way to go. Sounds like they had a good time.

mothersthought
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
And the hard part wt that is it is so hard to tell when they r going to have a rough time or good time.. there r days like what the f*** happen it was going so well then others completely surprised wt how it went... its a guessing game
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:27 AM

That is so true...

Quoting mothersthought:

And the hard part wt that is it is so hard to tell when they r going to have a rough time or good time.. there r days like what the f*** happen it was going so well then others completely surprised wt how it went... its a guessing game

dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM

How an Autistic child, teen, or adult does in public depends on the situation. If the Autistic child has sensory issues, sometimes they will want to escape a very loud situation in some fashion because it can cause pain to us. I know that I can't stand loud music for very long without getting a headache, so I wear ear plugs in certain situations. Also, I can't stand crowds for very long due to touch issues, and I will not spend more than a hour at the most at Walmart.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:36 AM

My youngest hates loud noises and crowded places...yet yesterday we went to places that pretty crowded and somewhat loud and he did surprisingly good. Caught me off guard how well he did...

Quoting dawncs:

How an Autistic child, teen, or adult does in public depends on the situation. If the Autistic child has sensory issues, sometimes they will want to escape a very loud situation in some fashion because it can cause pain to us. I know that I can't stand loud music for very long without getting a headache, so I wear ear plugs in certain situations. Also, I can't stand crowds for very long due to touch issues, and I will not spend more than a hour at the most at Walmart.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

THat's wonderful mama!

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM

BUMP!

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

our ds is normally better in public too :)  recently it hasn't been that way all the time but NORMALLY it is :)

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN