Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Paleo

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 19 Replies
Has anyone modified their child's diet. We are GFCF and have seen a lot of improvement. However I am just learning about the effects of white potatoes et. Wondering if anyone is doing paleo?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

We're not, but I'm curious how it works for you.

Koltie6
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Gluten free made a huge difference . We were having severe bowel issues. It took about a year to see great improvement. We also are seeing great things without dairy. He was tested and found he does not absorb folic acid and it turns out the protein in milk blocks the absorbtion of folic acid as well. The doctors say this is why we see improvement when our kids go GFCF . I really wasn't a believer at first. I couldn't believe what he ate mattered that much. I was soooo wrong. However when going gluten free we seemed to try and replace food for food regular pancakes with gluten free ones. This helped with the gluten issue but nutrition wise NO! So I am interested in Paleo which has no potatoes just lots of lean chicken fresh veggies etc.
VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, we do Paleo, its also called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), Body Ecology Diet (BED) or GAPS. I find a ton more recipes if I look for Paleo recipes, but its pretty much all the same. I have seen even better improvements by cutting out grain and starch altogether. A good paleo pancake is one egg, 2 tbsp nut butter (like cashew/macadamia) and a half a ripe banana, fried in coconut oil. When we went GFCF I ended up trying to replace a lot of stuff with gluten free carbs instead of focusing on nutrient dense food. The carbs were part of the problem and feeding the yeast in her gut, and I was thinking that because she didn't eat much sugar that she wasnt getting sugar but the truth is that carbs and starch feed yeast because the body sees it as the same as sugar. Now that we have been on this diet for 6 months I think her yeast is under control and her poops are totally normal now, and she doesn't have a bloated tummy. You can get info on SCD from pecanbread.com, its the number one rated diet for autism now, even better than GFCF. You can still have honey, coconut flour or almond flour to bake with, but it shouldn't be the main ingredients in the diet.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

maciymommieof3
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:44 PM

this

Quoting amonkeymom:

We're not, but I'm curious how it works for you.

mommy4lyf
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Now, I am curious too.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

curious how it works out for you!  We're concidering altering our kids diet, dd already eats gluten free but ds is SO particular about all his foods its hard to get him to eat as it is....

HFBMOM
by Julie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Is that part of the Feingold diet? www.feingold.org

VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Its similar, Feingold is also about cutting out dyes, additives, preservatives and salycilates. Its usually done to address specific allergies. I would say that most autism diets also recommend removing anything "unnatural" and Paleo is literally the Paleolithic or caveman diet, so they wouldn't have had anything but clean natural and simple ingredients. The only difference is the salicylates which are things like apples and certain fruits, which some kids can't process. I would only cut them out if there was a proven allergy to them.  In Paleo, SCD or GFCF apples and fruit is allowed in moderation. 

Quoting HFBMOM:

Is that part of the Feingold diet? www.feingold.org

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

mommaTLC186
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I started making some paleo recipes a few weeks ago. I need to try harder on making every meal paleo but its a matter of money and ingredients. I'm working on it though.
Koltie6
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you I have read several of your post and believe we are on similar healing tracks. I have read about the GAPS diet on Dr Mercolas website . We also removed all artificial everything . We no longer use any cleaners , shampoo lotion or anything that are not all natural. I never knew these absorb thru the skin . So not only should you not eat them but they should not be put on your body. It's all so interesting and we still have much to learn . Thanks for sharing what you know.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Yeah, we do Paleo, its also called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), Body Ecology Diet (BED) or GAPS. I find a ton more recipes if I look for Paleo recipes, but its pretty much all the same. I have seen even better improvements by cutting out grain and starch altogether. A good paleo pancake is one egg, 2 tbsp nut butter (like cashew/macadamia) and a half a ripe banana, fried in coconut oil. When we went GFCF I ended up trying to replace a lot of stuff with gluten free carbs instead of focusing on nutrient dense food. The carbs were part of the problem and feeding the yeast in her gut, and I was thinking that because she didn't eat much sugar that she wasnt getting sugar but the truth is that carbs and starch feed yeast because the body sees it as the same as sugar. Now that we have been on this diet for 6 months I think her yeast is under control and her poops are totally normal now, and she doesn't have a bloated tummy. You can get info on SCD from pecanbread.com, its the number one rated diet for autism now, even better than GFCF. You can still have honey, coconut flour or almond flour to bake with, but it shouldn't be the main ingredients in the diet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN