Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

advice please on trimming nails

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 17 Replies
So any advice ladies on nail trims. My 2yr has never been an issue for nail trims. Past few times he is highly aggitated and im left bruised and tired. He screams this crazy scream I have never heard. Holds his breath and will kick and slap me and himself. Today his behaviorist helped and he open hand slapped her across thr face. Even with 2 ppl it took forever. Not to mention i hate seeing him like that. After he is out of breath and just lays on me saying "hug". But the second he see the clippers or is restrained in any way chaos! I need to keep his nails trimmed since he is agressive toward me and his face. Thanks for any advice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Bite them when hes asleep
Proudmommy0610
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Bribery lol. My son is the same way at almost four. He has ADHD & Aspergers so he goes ape shit when we try to cut his nails or too much touching of himself is going he is hyperaensitive as well and what helps is bribery find something he likes whatever it is stickers books a toy or whatever and use that to your advantage to combat the hitting we started a sticker chart that says today I don't hit for everyday he doesn't hit he gets a sticker on Friday we go to michaels art crafts store and pick a toy from the dollar section or we go to McDonald's or Ben and Jerry's. some weeks it works others it doesn't but we always commend him for his effort. Good luck
solen
by VintageMom on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is older, but hates 2 get nails trimmed.
Hubby cut too close a few times
So I basically give him a "manicure"
Fuss over him, soak his hands in warm soapy water
Take them out and wrap gently in towel
Trim gently holding his hands softly
Use a high quality Emory board etc
All the while conversing with him like they do when I get manicure
It works !
Turns it into a nice experience. Instead of a battle
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it so hard too. I used to do it when she was sleeping, but she doesn't take naps very often anymore and once she's in bed for the night its dark. I guess its just like everything else, the more times you do it the more used to it they will become. I'm in the same boat as you right now too, I hope it gets easier!

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:14 AM

File them instead.  Give him a nail file (one of the rectangle 3D ones with the 4 different grains on each side) so it's nice and easy to grip, let him do your toes or something, then his toes, then bribe cajole or distract enough to do ONE nail.  Just one.  Then leave it for that day.  Come back the next day and do it again.  It may take a week for them to figure out hey, it's no big deal, this NEVER hurts.  Have his ABA team (if you have him in ABA) work on it if he's just super sensitive about his fingers.  Token boards for letting them touch/manipulate his nails during sessions) until he's pretty used to it. 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Does he have a favorite show? 

Maybe trim your nails while he watches so that he understands that it doesn't hurt you?

Sit him in your lap facing the tv. with his fave show or movie on... then let him see you trimming your nails. then ask him if he wants his nails trimmed.

It worked for me and my son. He used to scream holy hell every time. He used to also throw a fit and have a meltdown. He doesn't do any of that anymore. All I have to do now is show him the clippers and he will let me trim his nails. (That did take a little while though)

wedding countdown

she-ra2000
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I agree with this or try clipping whenthey're wet or even peeling them, since they're soft then anyway.

Quoting peaches_04:

Bite them when hes asleep

charley31
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Thank you all for advice. Ive tried a lot of s stuff. Ive done my nails infront of him and even let him hold clippers so he can pretend to do mine. I put his fav show on too. Ill see how the filing thing goes. Its just weird hes never been a problem with this and bam hes angry over it. After we do his nails for almost 9hrs he walked around saying his fingers hurt. I didnt cut any of them too short.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:55 AM

when he is in the bath they are really soft. tear them carefully.

charley31
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Ohhh good idea. Ill try that too. Thank u!

Quoting JTMOM422:

when he is in the bath they are really soft. tear them carefully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)