Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
I'm the mom of two wonderful kids. My son is 10. My daughter is 6. My son had ADHD and had been to a child psychologist who said he had "autistic tendencies." (Which I feel he is on the spectrum). I'm currently trying to get my son in with a neuropsychologist to find out of he is in fact on the Autism Spectrum. I do understand what tendencies are and that doctors don't want to misdiagnose. But really?... Does or has anyone else had this happen? If so, are there any key questions I should ask to get a more definitive answer from the doctor(s)?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Replies (11-13):
GELiz
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

There are so many behaviors that can mimmic autism. If they are few and mild, they will hesitate to decide.

Some children who have auditory processing issues have very delayed social awareness and have some sutisitc tendencies, but it is not autism. Children who have attention defficit can also have some of the same tendencies becasue they do not get social nuances and the diagnosis can also be combined with auditory processing issues. Learning differences can be very mixed. It can be complicated, and they will go with a diagnosis within which MOST of the identifying behaviors lie.

theresa1966
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I had my Ped's doctor send a referal to a Nero doctor. Ped's doctor was a new to my son and I. She has been a blessing. Anytime I feel like something isnt right with my son she check and if it comes a little abnormal she double checks. The Nero doctor did blood test and MRI to check for anyother problems in his genes....that is the best course to go I think. It helped me.

theresa1966
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM

My son does have ADHD, Bi-Polar, Sensory Intergration, Autism. The teachers see and He has been in the hospital over the years. Since the age of 4 he has been in and out of the hospital. He has pretty much stayed in the hospital a month each time. He gets stressed out at school and homework alot. Plus he has alot of blow ups when he comes home from school or I wont buy him something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)