Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New Psych appointment went well

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

Bugga is technically a ward of the state so we are limited to taking him to certain doctors and clinics. The clinic he goes to hasn't had a qualified psych in quite a while. The last one questioned Bugga's asperger's diagnosis saying that he didn't respond the way asperger's kids respond (she only spent 30 minutes with him!). So I was worried that this new doctor would react the same way. 

The appointment got off to a rocky start, it was supposed to be a 2 hr. appointment but the office only booked us for an hour. But things went smoothly from there on. Where the last doctor was doing something else through the entire visit, this one actually paid attention and focused on Bugga. She didn't question the asperger's diagnosis at all. Actually, she questioned his ADD diagnosis, saying that she suspected he is Bi-Polar or depressive (which we have suspected for a long time now). I'm really hopeful that with this doctor's help we can get my happy little nephew back. He's become so moody and unhappy in recent years. Hopefully things will go better now. :) 

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

HUGS so glad your dr appt went well and hoping you get your happy little nephew back too <3

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I trully hope that they get things figured out soon. Sounds like the last doc wasn't really doing her job if she was doing something else through the last visit. Wish your nephew the best. I know that it has to be hard on him

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama.  Glad things went better than you thought:)

she-ra2000
by Deborah on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Glsd it went well for you. Hold old is he?

AspieAuntie
by Risa on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM

He's 9. Both his parents are bi-polar (his mom may even be schizophrenic) so we aren't too surprised that it's a possibility. I just hope that this new doctor will stick around long enough to get us on a treatment plan. This clinic hires med students that need their clinic hours in order to graduate...then they graduate and we never see them again. So frustrating!

Quoting she-ra2000:

Glsd it went well for you. Hold old is he?

AspieAuntie
by Risa on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Yeah, she seemed to be focused on something else through out the entire appointment. This clinic doesn't have a lot of funding and I get the feeling they over work their employees for too little pay. The doctors and therapists are always coming and going. It isn't very helpful for a kid who needs consistency, but we don't have money for a different clinic. Hopefully this doc will stay around longer.

Quoting JTMOM422:

I trully hope that they get things figured out soon. Sounds like the last doc wasn't really doing her job if she was doing something else through the last visit. Wish your nephew the best. I know that it has to be hard on him

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Quoting AspieAuntie:

Yeah, she seemed to be focused on something else through out the entire appointment. This clinic doesn't have a lot of funding and I get the feeling they over work their employees for too little pay. The doctors and therapists are always coming and going. It isn't very helpful for a kid who needs consistency, but we don't have money for a different clinic. Hopefully this doc will stay around longer.

Quoting JTMOM422:

i hope so. its always a relief to find the right doc. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)