Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

School psych today

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM
  • 10 Replies
She thinks we are also looking at ADHD not just aspergers. He hates her and told me she's too nosey and asks too many questions. It took hours for him to stop talking about how much he hates her. He turned into a broken record. We couldn't do homework or anything else because of it. She is supposed to see him again this week. Good luck to her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I think it's very common to see issues with self-regulation with autism.  We give my daughter two different supplements to help her stay calm and focused which also help her in changing topics or transitions without freaking out.  L-Theanine, and L-Carnosine are their names and along with 5-HTP they do a nice job of keeping her more even-keel and able to cope. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM

Oh wow mama!  I'm sorry to hear this.  Hugs to you and good luck!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM

My son is also very private and does not like people asking him personal questions. I can't get a word out of him about what he does at school. I am sure your your son is not the first child she has dealt with that is resistant. I would just let him vent when he gets home but maybe try and squeeze in a few questions like why he hates her so much and what is so terrible about her.  Good luck with the pending rant!!!!   XO

jewel80
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I personally wouldn't let him see her anymore , tell the school to pull one from another school in the district. Your son shouldn't be evaluated or treated by someone he doesn't like. Some people just dont fit with our kids. How is she going to help him or evaluate him properly if he cant stand her??? If it was my kid i would not let him see her i would tell the school figure something out she doesn't mesh well with my son the results of the eval. Wont be correct bc my son cant stand her, nothing personal just some people dont mesh well with certain kids!!!
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM

A little off topic, my son becomes a broken record a lot about different things throughout the day too...

I don't know if he should or shouldn't continue to see her... its a tough call. :/

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

If he doesn't like her, he's not going to give her the same information as someone he DOES like and feels more open with.

Also - when you don't like somene and are having avoidance behaviors, it can look like ADD on the outside, but is because they are not wanting to participate and has nothing to do with ADD. Unless your son tells you his brain can't ever focus and he's flitting all over the place, I would disregard the ADD as a diagnoses when you are figuring out autism.

It can look very similar on the surface, but doesn't actually mean they have ADD too... I would be hesitant to add on double labels like that... they like to medicate for ADD and if he doesn't actually have it, it may cause more problems than it will help.

I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid, but don't have ADD. :)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM

My son has had a few people he has not liked, never said hated, usually for a good reason. He would not cooperate with someone he didn't feel comfortable.  Does she have to be the one to meet with him? 

Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Kids are usually a great judge of character. If he doesn't like her there is probably a reason.
takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM

it might be worth looking for another person, when my son hates someone (and hes only 2!)  he remembers and will not want to be near them again...  i'd be afraid it would effect the evalutions.. but at the same time.. at least she'll see a lot of the more negative behaviors- sounds bad but they do need to see those too...   Our son is a broken record too, it helps us if we repeat it back, if we don't he will just keep saying it- over and over and over (the longest time was an hour before  ifinally went in hisroom and repeated the phrase for him!).  not sure if you've tried that or if it helps for your son.  HUGS

Quoting jewel80:

I personally wouldn't let him see her anymore , tell the school to pull one from another school in the district. Your son shouldn't be evaluated or treated by someone he doesn't like. Some people just dont fit with our kids. How is she going to help him or evaluate him properly if he cant stand her??? If it was my kid i would not let him see her i would tell the school figure something out she doesn't mesh well with my son the results of the eval. Wont be correct bc my son cant stand her, nothing personal just some people dont mesh well with certain kids!!!

t1gger143
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Thank you for the input. I like this psych and he liked her the first time they met. She has decided not to meet with him right away. Instead she sent home the conners assessment. I'm a special ed teacher and honestly it's hard being on the other side of the table with ds. I am refusing all suggestions to medicate at this time if that happens.
He will be assessed by our insurance next month.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)