Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I'm curious to find out 2 things from my fellow mommas:

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 20 Replies

1) Where are you all buying your support "products" for your kids like night pants(pull-ups), sensory aides for chewing or enzymes for digestion... Anything you buy on a regular basis... Where do you get it?  

2) What strategies do you use to help your children relax or make sense of their world?

For example, last night I read my son (an aspie fixated on right and wrong) a lovely story book rooted in zen ideology.  In the story, a really rude girl looses her earring.  She's screaming and hollering and generally making a real ass of herself when suddenly a really sweet boy offers to help.  He eventually finds the earring and the nasty girl snatches it from his hand and walks away without a single 'thank you'.  He doesn't seem upset and goes back to playing with another boy and the other boy says why didn't you yell at that girl for not saying thank you!?!  And the little boy says, I didn't do it so she'd say thank you.  I did it to be helpful because I like being kind.  As you can imagine there were a whole host of issues to discuss, which we did.  But in the end he just looked at me and said, "what did all that mean mom?" LOL!  Sigh... we can but try.... 

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BKozICan
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

T is pretty mild. Everything "special" we buy is just grocery/department store type stuff. We use earplugs, baseball caps and sunglasses for sound and light sensitivity. For sensory work, we use cornstarch and shaving cream, fingerpaint, etc. We use an exercise ball and mini trampoline for gross motor work. Fine motor we are just using buttons, regular pencils, markers, golf tees in styrofoam. 

I am looking at getting him a wobble cushion for school circle time from Amazon. The teachers (mainstream room) don't want an exercise ball because it is too big for their little room.

she-ra2000
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't use any support products, my son's an 8 yr old aspie, never had troulbe after potty training. As far as gettting him to relax, I'll sing him a lullaby sometimes if he can't sleep. And when he gets upset I have to speak in a firm tone(which is hard for me cause I can be a big softie most of the time)but it lets him know thatI'm serious and he will usually calm down and sometimes go to his room. But that was a good story attempt too, all we can do is try,try again.

Macphee
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

1. I do not buy support products. To venture a guess, I would say your best bet would be online. Create a wish list on amazon, after a certain amount shipping is free.

2. I use social stories to help him make sense of the world. We tried the velcro stories, which didn't work. He loves animals and dinosaurs, so I use them to help him understand the world. I let him play sesame street online games, which has a lot of social stories. How do dinosaurs series also helps him. One of my favorite books for my son is Giraffes can't dance about being different and finding the "right music" for you.

To help my son relax, I give him warm, epsom salt, peppermint oil baths. I also massage his forehead and back. He loves rolling on his stomach on a Pilates ball. Music, especially classical strings takes the tension out of him. He also loves to wrap up in a fluffy comforter (even if its 100 degrees). Curling up with our dog helps him relax too. I'm not sure if its the warmth or the slow breathing.

The weirdest thing I've done so far is to show him how to relax by using his plastic fish toy. I literally explain how tired fish is and doesn't know it. I'll rub the fins and tail, kiss the fish and lay him down. Then my son will let me rub his arms and back, kiss him and lay down with the fish. Weird, but hey it works.

ermasdaughter
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM

A wobble cushion is a great idea!!  This is why I posted - the collective experience of this group is a constant amazement to me! 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

That sounds like a great book to teach a lesson. What is the name of it? I would like to read it to my daughter. Also I buy most of my stuff at walmart. My OT suggested a compression vest but said not to buy it online. That I could just get a shirt made from the scuba suit and use that. She also said the tight shirts made out of the bicycle pant material would work. Just to buy it a little small. I bought his brushes for the welbarger brushing online on ebay. As for sensory aids my son loves numbers and letters. So I pick up regular playing cards or blocks with numbers and letters on them. I go online to google images to download the pics for his PECS cards. We don't use any chewing aids or enzymes sorry. The squishy balls that have the prickly things you can get at any dollar store.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been looking on Amazon for Sensory "chew" flavored toys for ds.. we buy him normal teethers etc and he wont use them so we figured if we can get him a special flavored one he might use it and stop chewing on EVERYTHING.  We cloth diaper and buy those on co ops on Facebook, ds is 2 1//2.   Ds is very observant and usually understands, that we know of, what he is seeing, he has trouble with meltdowns though, bear hugs and firm backrubs help so far.. and alone time. :(  Ds also loves reading, he likes site cards with automotive words and pictures the best, they really help him calm down :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I get most of Brady's things like that from his occupational therapist.  She gives me ideas and then orders stuff and I pay her.  

emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My son's pullups are purchased from CVS Pharmacy for the most part.

Strategies can be either be teaching them to say I'm angry instead of hitting, using music to listen to or taking away the item that they do not like (if you can).  There are hundreds more, just be creative.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Dillon is very high functioning so there aren't any special stores or sites for us. I know I'm able to really fit my day around him and his needs so we're fortunate that way. He loves to go straight home from school, get in his " comfortable clothes" and just relax with a snack, the tv and his laptop... He also has a yoga ball he bounces on constantly . I know that's his way of keeping calm and destressing so I make it important that he gets to do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yergie1985
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Amazon, thrift store, walmart...No where special. I also make some things myself (Weighted blanket/lap pad). 

He loves to bounce, he used to have a yoga ball (he was only 3 but managed to bust it lol) but now we're looking at a mini trampoline. I'll probably buy that off my cousin (she used it to work out but stored it after she had kids). 

Thrift stores are great if you know what you need and your local shops actually sell decent stuff. I mainly have bought organization stuff there. 3-ring binders, plastic shoe boxes, etc. That stuff isn't super expensive but the money I save on that I can use on other stuff. I buy stuff on Amazon that I can't get locally (adaptive writing tools). Walmart/Meijer for his other sensory stuffs (bubbles, fluffly stuff...). He's been pretty easy so far.

btw....If anyone knows a good place to pick up slant boards and adaptive pens cheap I'd appreciate the info!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN