Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

his evaluation....

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM
  • 5 Replies
So it's taken a long time to get here, But we finally had a chance to go to Gabriel's evaluations. He did not. fully cooperate, so I know they are going to school to further observe him, and complete some of their evaluations..
so far the therapists that sat with me says she sees some of the autism "worries" I've had, but many things don't say autism.
he was all over the place, not cooperating with them, hitting... he was completely off his routine n out of his element, so he was bouncing off the walls. he made eye contact... which he's ok with, he is ok with being touched... she says those don't line up... her other option was Emotional Distortion?

I've never heard of it but I'm going to look it up now... he will freak out and He will either bite his fingers or tear paper to calm himself. He panics if his shirtsleeves slides up into coat... he needs his routine. he punches himself if he's frustrated.... if he's overly happy he will hit someone ;We got him a Hulk for his birthday and he was so excited he pinched me... he rather play alone. If he plays with other kids its because they join his play (flapping his pieces of paper, or playing with certain toys) or because they're playing a video game.
Kids look at him as if he's different, he doesn't speak as they do, his play as they do, or learn as they do...

so anyway I started babbling sorry lol, he will continue his eval. after spring break next week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
takeitall13
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM

HUGS to me it sounds like mild autism..  they're going to do more observation though?  I hope they do, maybe see if they can come to YOUR house where he'll be more comfortable?  Make a running list, pictures and videos if you can to back yourself up with.  How old is he?  I've never heard of Emotional Distortion but I'm going to look that one up too. 

LaurieMomof4
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has high functioning Autism/Aspergers he makes eye contact, likes physical affection, has a great sense of humor and imagination... Yet he still has Autism. autism doesn't have to be the classic signs we all think of.

AngelicMommy_72
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM
it could also be emotional disturbance... I think that's what she said.... his emotions being backwards...

its frustrating because he's not moving forward academically with math, or letters. he doesn't like to color on a coloring book, he. freezes up when I say lets try to write your name, n completely breaks down when I pull down the paper n pen..his teacher says he hides in the classroom when she starts teaching them .... he has a Nov bday do he's a 5yo in pk .

Quoting takeitall13:

HUGS to me it sounds like mild autism..  they're going to do more observation though?  I hope they do, maybe see if they can come to YOUR house where he'll be more comfortable?  Make a running list, pictures and videos if you can to back yourself up with.  How old is he?  I've never heard of Emotional Distortion but I'm going to look that one up too. 

AngelicMommy_72
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking as she was speaking. That maybe it might even be autism mixed in with something else?
idk

Quoting LaurieMomof4:

My son has high functioning Autism/Aspergers he makes eye contact, likes physical affection, has a great sense of humor and imagination... Yet he still has Autism. autism doesn't have to be the classic signs we all think of.

AngelicMommy_72
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking as she was speaking. That maybe it might even be autism mixed in with something else?
idk. I pretty much figured if he had autism it would be high functioning, There is a lot he can do for himself. I know when he does try to remember a letter by looking at it that he is trying to think really hard what it is.... she seems to think he's "acting like he doesn't know to see what he can get away with." Which doesn't fit.

Quoting LaurieMomof4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)