Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

SSi and income

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM
  • 21 Replies
I get SSI for both of my daughters with Aspergers/autism the amount changes every month. My friend gets it for her son and her amount doesn't change because they told her the amount is locked in at the income they applied with and wont ever go up or down. Someone explain this to me. In thinking about making aphone call to ask. Does it make a difference the type of dignose?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM
I have no idea bc I've never tried to get it for my son! Hopefully someone else has the answer!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRJ
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM
No idea either. We haven't applied yet
Kimmiky
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

My dh works seasonally, so during the winter he draws unemployment.  This amount does not change unless he has to file a new claim.  They told me over the phone that I would not have to submit information unless his income ( or type of income, like he started earning wages again) changed, but when I went in to finish the application, the guy told me to report every few months.  Honestly, I have better and more important things to do than fill out paperwork and make phone calls every few months when I have no change to report. . .  But then when DH goes back to work, his income changes dramatically weekly, so I know that we will have to report changes monthly at that point.

I don't know what it is your friend is talking about, unless her child is over 18 and considered an adult.  I think that the rules about income are different then.

mamaBerg85
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Nope her son is younger then either of my daughters.

Quoting Kimmiky:

My dh works seasonally, so during the winter he draws unemployment.  This amount does not change unless he has to file a new claim.  They told me over the phone that I would not have to submit information unless his income ( or type of income, like he started earning wages again) changed, but when I went in to finish the application, the guy told me to report every few months.  Honestly, I have better and more important things to do than fill out paperwork and make phone calls every few months when I have no change to report. . .  But then when DH goes back to work, his income changes dramatically weekly, so I know that we will have to report changes monthly at that point.

I don't know what it is your friend is talking about, unless her child is over 18 and considered an adult.  I think that the rules about income are different then.

ladycris55
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

My son has been getting his for over a year now and it never changed, well it did, but only for an increase, which everyone recieved

mamaBerg85
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Are you summing ur income once every couple of months?

Quoting ladycris55:

My son has been getting his for over a year now and it never changed, well it did, but only for an increase, which everyone recieved

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM

It can depend on a lot of factors...severity of illness or necessity of medical equipment can put it in that category but usually it is based on age and the income of the parent that has primary (more than 50 percent of the time) custody of the child...A friend gets the same every month because her child's disability (not autism but still nuerological and I won't say more without her permission) is so severe that she cannot work.

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Oh and also when two people in a family both recieve it they may raise one and lower the other, but you should still get nearly the same total (and this will be true until they are 18, unless they are incapable of living on their own then they can still pull that bs.)

mamaBerg85
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Yeah but then wouldn't it go off her husbands income or not change because she doesn't work? I mean our kids both have autism. So why would mine change by income but hers be locked in from three date they applied. I'm calling SSI tomorrow to figure this out because my husband is about to go back to work and our income will be able to support three family without ssi but tbere medical will kills us we need at least a $1 a month to get Medicaid still.

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

It can depend on a lot of factors...severity of illness or necessity of medical equipment can put it in that category but usually it is based on age and the income of the parent that has primary (more than 50 percent of the time) custody of the child...A friend gets the same every month because her child's disability (not autism but still nuerological and I won't say more without her permission) is so severe that she cannot work.

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I don't know...these are the factors that have been mentioned to me by our local ssi office.

Quoting mamaBerg85:

Yeah but then wouldn't it go off her husbands income or not change because she doesn't work? I mean our kids both have autism. So why would mine change by income but hers be locked in from three date they applied. I'm calling SSI tomorrow to figure this out because my husband is about to go back to work and our income will be able to support three family without ssi but tbere medical will kills us we need at least a $1 a month to get Medicaid still.

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)