Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What's the point

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 31 Replies

Ds has been having major meltdowns at OT the last 3 weeks. Last week he hit the OT and she put him in time out she said he had to face the wall. I was ok with the time out since I don't like the idea of him hitting. So I told my ABA tutor about this and she said she would stop by to see what was going on. Well it seems the OT has been putting a compression vest on him and he has been protesting it majorly. I mean I can hear him screaming for the half hour of OT. The ABA shows up yesterday while ds was in OT. She got there a little late so she just walked on back. She tells me today that ds was in timeout when she walked back there. The OT never mentioned this to me. The ABA tutor said that my ds was screaming because of the compression vest. And that he VERBALLY asked several times "off Please" the OT wouldn't take it off. The ABA tutor said that it really does help him focus but that until we can desensitize him to it it's really no good. I had no idea until yesterday that the OT was even using a compression vest on him. She didn't even tell me about it the ABA tutor did. So the ABA tutor asks the OT how long has he been having the meltdowns. The OT says a couple of weeks. The tutor asked how long had the OT been using the vest. The OT said a couple weeks. The tutor asked if there was a corrilation between the two and the OT really didn't say anything.  I feel that she should had told me about the compression vest. Instead of just making it seem like my son hit her because he was just mad. He hit her cause he wanted that thing off. Today the ABA tutor and I were talking and she thinks the compression vest should go. She can't say anything to the OT but I think she wants me too. So what would you do? I am pretty pissed off right now. As the tutor put it; we are trying to get my son to verbalize his wants and needs and he did that. The OT chose to ignore his request. What bothers me the most is that my son doesn't really talk but he was able to put 2 words together OFF PLEASE and his words fell on deaf ears.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Oh wow I would be upset too ! Is there a reason you don't go with him for OT? I always did.

I think I'd spend the next appointment talking with the OT about why she wants the vest and why she's ignoring his verbal attempts at having it removed.

Everything about this just smells wrong. I'm so sorry your son (and you) are going through this but thank goodness for the aba therapist!!

If you don't like the OTs style, fire her. It's not worth it. I'd rather my child have no OT than have to go through that. Besides, it seems as if you're paying for time out. I also think you really need to be back there with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladydeer23
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I would talk to the OT about why she didn't listen to your ds's request.. I would also bring it up that you were not informed about the vest therefore it should not be used without getting your permission first... I would also talk to her supervisor and inform them on what's been going on.. if nothing changes than I would possible talk to a lawyer about what your oppions are!!! As a parent you have EVERY right to be pissed off... also you can look up your states laws about this kind of thing..

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM
4 moms liked this

I would fire the OT - if she'd do that once, she'll do it again and maybe next time she'll do other things and make things worse for him long-term.

She'd be fired for ignoring my child's wishes in a situation like that. I wouldn't even bother to let her come back.

Paperfishies
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I got a quick question...how come you aren't in the room with him when he does his therapies?  I always thought parents stayed.

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:05 AM

a lot of times they ask parents not to be right there because it distracts the child or they aren't as willing to cooperate and will cling/hide behind the parents.

But, generally when that happens, they have a camera or some kind of room where parents can observe if they want.

Quoting Paperfishies:

I got a quick question...how come you aren't in the room with him when he does his therapies?  I always thought parents stayed.

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

KatyTylersMom
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

So two things: yes, some kids work better if mom/dad are NOT present - my son will do NOTHING for his ABA therapists if I'm around but works nicely for them once mommy leaves.  He's a momma's boy and just wants to hug and snuggle and avoid work:)  BUT in speech therapy he needs me there to prompt along with the speech therapist to do his best work.  So I'm always in the room for that and if he were to stop doing well with me present then I'd step out. 

REGARDLESS - if a compression vest is supposed to feel "good" and help a kid focus, but all it's doing is causing meltdowns then why are they using it??? My son will go limp in bliss when you squish him, it does NOT sound like this is the case with your son sooooooooo yeah I'd have a REAL SERIOUS heart to heart with that OT right MEOW about what the vest is for, why she feels it's positive or necessary after your son's reactions to it, talk about reinforcing his verbal communication and requests IMMEDIATELY even if that means the vest comes off, and then having you sit in on the next few months of therapy even if it's listening through a thin wall in another room, or sitting off in a corner clearly "not watching" so as not to engage your kiddo.  If you don't like the answers to any of the above FIRE HER ASS.  There are many OTs in the sea of autism.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:26 AM

These ladies have some good ideas...I would be getting rid of that OT if it were me!  Hugs mama!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Yep, my son is the same way for ALL his therapies except Speech.  I go back with him for that one as we've only been there for about a month.  Especially ABA...he will do NOTHING unless I'm not there!  He's a stinker!

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

So two things: yes, some kids work better if mom/dad are NOT present - my son will do NOTHING for his ABA therapists if I'm around but works nicely for them once mommy leaves.  He's a momma's boy and just wants to hug and snuggle and avoid work:)  BUT in speech therapy he needs me there to prompt along with the speech therapist to do his best work.  So I'm always in the room for that and if he were to stop doing well with me present then I'd step out. 

REGARDLESS - if a compression vest is supposed to feel "good" and help a kid focus, but all it's doing is causing meltdowns then why are they using it??? My son will go limp in bliss when you squish him, it does NOT sound like this is the case with your son sooooooooo yeah I'd have a REAL SERIOUS heart to heart with that OT right MEOW about what the vest is for, why she feels it's positive or necessary after your son's reactions to it, talk about reinforcing his verbal communication and requests IMMEDIATELY even if that means the vest comes off, and then having you sit in on the next few months of therapy even if it's listening through a thin wall in another room, or sitting off in a corner clearly "not watching" so as not to engage your kiddo.  If you don't like the answers to any of the above FIRE HER ASS.  There are many OTs in the sea of autism.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM

We go to a center called Advanced Therapy Solutions. The kids go back on their own with the therapist. Plus if I am in the room he just clings to me and won't do anything at all.

Quoting Paperfishies:

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I am a distratction for him. He won't do things if I am around

Quoting kajira:

a lot of times they ask parents not to be right there because it distracts the child or they aren't as willing to cooperate and will cling/hide behind the parents.

But, generally when that happens, they have a camera or some kind of room where parents can observe if they want.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN