Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergies

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 14 Replies

Are your children allergic to anything?  Do those allergies affect their everyday lives?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:46 AM
No allergies here that I know of!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lelandsmama07
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM
My oldest leland is allergic to cats, milk, mold, amoxocillin, and maple...we are getting my youngest connir allergy tested to find out but everytime i give him anything with dairy in it he throws up and gets a rash...i have to be very careful about what i give my kids because of their allergies...leland also has asthma and gets upper respitory infections a lot
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BKozICan
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Sensitivities for us. Gluten, casein, possibly peanuts, artificial colors, generic Singulair. The allergy tests (prick tests) came back okay for wheat and milk, but if he has gluten, he goes into an asthma attack. Casein makes him stop talking for a week. Peanuts, Generic singulair and artificial colors make the behaviors much, much worse.

VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Violet is severely intolerant of gluten, major huge meltdowns for a week or more if she so much as plays with bubbles containing gluten. I suspect dairy too, she's much better with those out of her diet anyways. We're used to it now, but I can't lie, I hope some day her gut will be healed enough that it won't affect her anymore. I'd love to just take her out for pizza and an ice cream some day.

We also can't use anything with dyes or scents, she's very sensitive in every way.

Macphee
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

My son's allergies are manageable now. Before, he would spend literally months covered from head to toe in severe eczema. He is allergic to cats, oak, pollen, dust, singulair, claritin, ibuprofen, neoprofen, neomycin, chloral hydrate, neosporin.

I'm sure that there's more to add, we are just unaware. Hypersensitivity is what he has. A quick change in humidity can literally cause him to have a sinus infection. He takes zyrtec, three vitamins, and ventolin pump as needed.

He has allergies and severe chronic eczema. No asthma thus far.

jeda1429
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Yep my son is allergic to grass, trees, pollen, cats, some dogs, mold spores, and dust mites lol> Pretty much everything they tested him for.  During the winter he is not very effected by it, but I have definitley noticed that he acts more "autistic" during allergy season. I give him an anti histamine and his behavior seems to go back to normal. Just an observation I have made.

jeda1429
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Just curious , have you tried giving her a probiotic? I take one daily and my food sensitivities have improved greatly since I started. I used to get extremely gassy when I would eat gluten, but now it seems to be fine. I also have extreme chemical sensitivities and it seems to have helped with this as well.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Violet is severely intolerant of gluten, major huge meltdowns for a week or more if she so much as plays with bubbles containing gluten. I suspect dairy too, she's much better with those out of her diet anyways. We're used to it now, but I can't lie, I hope some day her gut will be healed enough that it won't affect her anymore. I'd love to just take her out for pizza and an ice cream some day.

We also can't use anything with dyes or scents, she's very sensitive in every way.

VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Yes, she is also on several probiotics. She is still extremely sensitive to gluten. I would bet she's celiac but I'm not willing to give her gluten again to test it, she is doing so much better now that she's off it.

Quoting jeda1429:

Just curious , have you tried giving her a probiotic? I take one daily and my food sensitivities have improved greatly since I started. I used to get extremely gassy when I would eat gluten, but now it seems to be fine. I also have extreme chemical sensitivities and it seems to have helped with this as well.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

DS 5yo ASD has no documented allergies-I took him to be tested at age 3 and tests came back neg-but he gets the same itchy eyes and nose that I do (seasonal allergies) and we both take Zyrtec,which is good for us.

jeda1429
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

In that case

i have another question lol Do you give her children's probiotics or the adult ones? I would like to start my son on one but not sure if he would be able to handle the adult strength version.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Yes, she is also on several probiotics. She is still extremely sensitive to gluten. I would bet she's celiac but I'm not willing to give her gluten again to test it, she is doing so much better now that she's off it.

Quoting jeda1429:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)