Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evaluation - Parent Interview

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 9 Replies

My sons developmental evaluation is coming up next week, and my husband and I want to discuss the behaviors that we're witnessing from him beforehand to ensure that we're on the same page and giving the most accurate information. 

I remember during his early intervention evaluation, I had a difficult time answering some of the questions on the spot, but I thought of better answers to have given later on after it was too late. I'd like to try to avoid that this time around. 

Can anyone fill me in on what kinds of things are going to be discussed during the parent interview portion of his evaluation? Or better yet, is there any chance that there is a link to a sample interview or an example of a parent interview online? 

Thank you so much for your help and support! 

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Macphee
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I haven't heard of a sample, but DH and I found it easier to make our own lists beforehand.

Its true that when you are put on the spot, it is hard to remember everything.

Literally, think of what a typical day with your son is like. How does he act when its time to run errands, in the car, at the park, with family, etc.

Also write down any and all questions you may have. There is literally no such thing as too much information when evaluating kids.

I'm not sure what health history your son has. But literally if he has had any, write it down beforehand. My son was a preemie and spent the first 2 years in the hospital all the time. I forgot a few important things at the initial evaluation and had to call later to add them. Good luck.

dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

One of the best things you can do for your son is to establish a good working relationship between yourself and his teachers along with therapists. Sharing your observations and concerns with them can help you help your son reach his full potential in life. They can be a good source of information to help your son on the different techniques out there. Teachers are required to take so many continuing education or college credit hours per year as required by Federal law.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I would start by writing down some of your concerns, that way you aren't forgetting anything.

I would think that they would ask you questions like, what is your family history, what was your pregnancy and delivery like, has your child ever been hospitalized or had any medical issues, stuff like that.

I'm making a document that I will title "parents perspective" and on it will be a picture of ds and a list of his strengths and a list of my concerns. I want it in his file before he goes for his evaluation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Everything! They asked me about my family tree, disorders or illnesses of any kind. Same for my husband. They asked me about my son from conception, pregnancy, birth, and present day. It is pretty intense, or at least it should be if they are doing their job right!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM

If this is a school evaluation it is mandated by law that they give you a copy of what is to be discussed before the meeting in my state, I am not sure if it is a federal law. 

I make a check list for myself because my emotions make me forget every single thing I want to ask so I make a cheat sheet of every question and ask them all even if they seem silly once I am there :)

Maybe make a list of the behaviors that concern you too so you don't forget anything. Try not to worry, they are there to help your son and to help you too. My son is now in third grade and we work as a team to meet his needs and trouble shoot when there is a problem. I go out of my way to thank each and every person who attends the meetings and often write notes of thanks afterward. Teachers etc. never get the credit they deserve and you would be surprised how far a little gratitude and kindness will go. Good luck, you'll do great. Don't be surprised if you feel a little exhausted afterwards. It is an emotional thing to talk about your little boys issues. Let us know how it goes!! XO

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

These ladies have some great ideas...hugs and good luck mama!

joel2010
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

with us the place we went had a paper online for us to print out to fel out for are patent meeting we did before and wrote lots down.  also we had others wrote notes of what they had been seeing.  we wrote down what we had been seeing and had it wrote out frist to do it all for us help.  we also had a list of every worker that work with our son to give them to talk to also to get more from them also. we took in all we could with us also.. if we had it tape we took it also for them to see.  you can type in and check the interent for things also

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I agree with McPhee on making separate lists and then comparing them. I would start now and every time you think of something new add to the list.  I know I remembered to say some things but forgot others during our EI eval. They use it as a starting point and from there they make their own assessments. It will be fine momma. 

lady_katie
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Thanks so much for the great ideas and advice, everyone! I'll let you all know how it goes :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)