Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD and dyes

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

So today on the news I saw that Kraft mac and cheese uses yellow dye 4 and 6.. and it has an apparent link with kids with ADHD and the hyperness... This is stunting because my son eats so much of this...GRR Frustrating just leads me more to gluten and ceasin free diet...

Anyone else have experince with the different dyes... I know the red dyes have an effect.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh yeah, absolutely. I can't find one redeeming quality about KD. (You can get a gluten free, white cheddar mac and cheese by the way) My neice with ADHD used to get a big red splotch on her face whenever she'd eat anything red. All the special diets recommend cutting out artificial dyes, Feingold diet is a big one that addresses that issue. My daughter is on the specific carbohydrate diet and she doesn't eat any processed foods, even her shampoo and soaps are dye free. They put dye in some vitamins, ibuprofen and cough syrups too, why?? Its too bad the food has become so horrible, its really hard to keep up with everything. You have to be like sherlock holmes to eat these days.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Interesting...my son isn't affected by those things...he still eats baby food though.

LIMom1105
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to think sugar made my son hyper, but it's dye. If we bake at home, he's fine.

These dyes are in so many things, it's hard to avoid completely. We have pretty much eliminated them from his diet other than bday cake at parties.

But I bought new vitamins the other day, gave him one and he was insane. Guess what was in them? Dye.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy4lyf
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM

No to "cheetos"..my son have strong reaction to this but, the new one is okay. It doesn't have preservatives, no artificial color and etc.. We practice moderation when it comes to food so it helps my son a lot.

Koltie6
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM
It's a shame we have to do all this work on diet ourselves . Most doctors are not educated in nutrition. If you start reading labels and googling ingredients you will be mad as hell at what's in the food we buy. We now eat only non processed foods or we only buy from whole foods or trader joes.
Koltie6
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM
In addition children with seizures are super sensitive to these dyes and chemical ingredients.
LIMom1105
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Dyes are so unnecessary too, they really serve no purpose. Except to make the color of the food more appealing, but most of the time I find the colors disgusting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)