• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Appt with EI for DX scheduled, and surprise visitor!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

My hubby surprised me with my friend as a surprise vistor, the kids and I are sooo happy and were so excited!  Especially Neko, he really has such a bond with her <3

EI called this afternoon and our appointment to meet with the "team" is a week from today, Friday at 8am for his dx and "where we go from here"... what should we expect?  If we do get an ASD diagnosis what comes next?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I recommend having his developmental milestones records available to the evaluator to see how he has been progressing. I also recommend having any EI paperwork handy from the time he started. You can read more about it at http://www.autismspeaks.org/ and http://www.autism-society.org/.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Dawn.  I would have any and all paperwork and thoughts written down and with you:)  Hugs and good luck mama!  Enjoy your time with your friend!

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Can you ask for the report ahead of time? They will all have it so as part of the IEP team, you should too. The social worker for Liam told me she would get me a copy before hand (but we shall see).

Anyway, at least you only have another week to wait!! I'm so jealous. I only have ten more weeks and three days, but who's counting, right? LOL

As far as whatever they say they think he has, remember its not a medical diagnosis. It's educational. Regardless of what happens, you may choose to go get a medical evaluation from a developmental pediatrician or neuropsychologist.

The school will place a label on him, if he qualifies, and there are several different types they can pick from. When Brennen first qualified, they put him under Developmental Delay. It's a broad label that can be used until the child turns eight. After that it HAS to be autism or speech or other health impairment, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
takeitall13
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

luckily I've been keeping written records for each of my kids== they actually made a copy of my sons and smiled and made a joke about how I wrote their Notes for them :D  (during his last eval)  I guess they all met last friday and made a decision on him and we meet this friday to hear it... now would I bring all the paperwork to his pediatrician including his EI documentations too then to get other testing done? 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I agree with Dawn.  I would have any and all paperwork and thoughts written down and with you:)  Hugs and good luck mama!  Enjoy your time with your friend!

takeitall13
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM

luckily I've been keeping written records for each of my kids== they actually made a copy of my sons and smiled and made a joke about how I wrote their Notes for them :D (during his last eval) I guess they all met last friday and made a decision on him and we meet this friday to hear it... now would I bring all the paperwork to his pediatrician including his EI documentations too then to get other testing done?

thank you for the links, I am going to check them out, I've been to autismspeaks but not to autism-society!  :)

Quoting dawncs:

I recommend having his developmental milestones records available to the evaluator to see how he has been progressing. I also recommend having any EI paperwork handy from the time he started. You can read more about it at http://www.autismspeaks.org/ and http://www.autism-society.org/.

takeitall13
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Jen, I love that you're such a resource of information!  I think I will call Jill and ask if she can make me a report, I'm hoping/assuming that they would anyway :)  I'm so relieved that we get SOME kind of answer this week!  I cannot imagine waiting 10 more weeks!!!  ://  I'm getting anxious though, doubting/ question/etc.  Dh is starting to be in denial, until of course, neko acts up or repeats things hundreds of times, etc but he's like "my dads right though, he acts like a normal kid for the most part," etc.. doesn't help he works with his dad :(  I keep giving dh links and sites and books etc that I was told to read by the OT that evaluated Neko and he says he doesn't want to read them or worry himself until we get a dx :(  If he would just read them he would see that a LOT of the things Neko does are mentioned in those books and websites.

Now when they give a dx because its not a "medical" dx does it not count? or only count for the schools?  If we bring all of his paperwork to his ped will she then send us to a neurologist or something to get a medical dx or will she be able to do that?  or will the EI team point us in the right direction?  (sorry tons of questions).  The Psychologist said neko will either, as it looked when she saw him without knowing seeing the OT's notes, qualify , so far, for either a social worker coming out to work with him weekly to him being enrolled in their Pre K program-- which luckily neko can not stop asking to "GO TO SCHOOL" since he's had his evals- so I almost hope they want him in PreK- although at the same time I will be sooo bummed worrying about him missing me and just missing my special Mama-Neko time we get while dd is taking her morning nap :///

Quoting mypbandj:

Can you ask for the report ahead of time? They will all have it so as part of the IEP team, you should too. The social worker for Liam told me she would get me a copy before hand (but we shall see).

Anyway, at least you only have another week to wait!! I'm so jealous. I only have ten more weeks and three days, but who's counting, right? LOL

As far as whatever they say they think he has, remember its not a medical diagnosis. It's educational. Regardless of what happens, you may choose to go get a medical evaluation from a developmental pediatrician or neuropsychologist.

The school will place a label on him, if he qualifies, and there are several different types they can pick from. When Brennen first qualified, they put him under Developmental Delay. It's a broad label that can be used until the child turns eight. After that it HAS to be autism or speech or other health impairment, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)