• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you handle

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 6 Replies
People staring, asking rude questions and the like? Yesterday I was at a cardiologist office, as usual I'm the youngest one there. Lilly was being good but she started getting crazy and this older lady kept staring at her. I didn't say anything until she started asking if she was ok, what's wrong with her and it was starting to annoy me. I just said that she's autistic sometimes she gets overwhelmed, I had no choice but to bring her.

How do you usually handle it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cubanmom84
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Mama, honestly your going to have to grow a thick skin, because it doesn't stop and it doesn't get any better. I personally have no shame, I don't even explain myself half of the time, unless I see that someone wants to actually learn, other wise, everyone can kiss my butt, lol but then again I have always been like that. Just don't pay attention, don't take it personally because they don't know, they have no idea what we go through and its not their fault that they are ignorant about it. Just don't think about it.

VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
3 moms liked this

I generally ignore people, but TACA does have some great little cards you can give out and then they can just read it (and probably feel like an ass) .

Here is a link to them (link)

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

kaygarcia97
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Honestly, I'm the person who would hand these out and hope it teaches them or makes them feel like a douche.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

I generally ignore people, but TACA does have some great little cards you can give out and then they can just read it (and probably feel like an ass) .

Dora-rulz
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I have to agree. In dr office where they are expected to behave is where they get easily overwhelmed. At first I tried to explain but it just isn't worth it. I want to have business cards printed & hand them out when people try to stick their nose in. I hate the looks of pity that I get when I tell someone ds has ASD. It's not their fault that they don't understand.
busymommy98
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM

We get that more often than I would like. Those kind of people have a problem, it is just too bad they don't know what it is. Someone once asked me, "if ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?" There, something to make everyone chuckle. There is ignorance everywhere. Some people won't stop even if you explain. That is way too bad for them, they don't see the blessings in our children, we do. They just miss out...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Love this!

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)