Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Need some advice relating to Aspergers

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 7 Replies

Let me see if I can explain this without writing a novel or confusing anyone, including myself lol.

My husband has Asperger's. He's super intelligent and a great guy but his thought patterns get derailed easily during conversation if there is too much going on around him. (I'm sure everyone is saying...yes...that's what happens) :)

My question is actually about how to start teaching our 16 month old ds to not talk/chatter all the time when dh is trying to talk to me. Imz (ds) is a chatty little guy, but he can go off and play and be quiet for decent periods of time. If dh starts to talk to me...he starts talking too. He doesn't have library voice yet lol so it is very hard for dh to talk over him and after a while he just can't. He gets frustrated and upset because not only can he not "hear himself" (his words) over ds, but the train of thought he had to continue the conversation gets completely lost.

I know that at 16 months to the toddler it is still all about them and I know Imz doesn't understand that he is a) interrupting b) too loud but I need to figure something out so that dh can finish a conversation with me (and to curb frustration and him getting upset). Imz is not having an emergency or needing a need met at the time...I guess he's just trying to participate in the conversation, but this does not work well with dh's Asperger's.

How do I get little guy not to chatter over top of his baba (daddy)?

Thanks for any ideas. :)

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Pirate.Mum
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM

BUMP!

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM

My girls are 6 and 3, and they still have issues not talking at the same time as everyone else.  There really isn't a quick fix.  Every time he interrupts it will be necessary to tell him that he cannot talk when others are talking.  He probably won't get it at first, but after a while of consistent reminders he will.

supermomz25
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM
2 moms liked this

if you and your husband are talking and your little one starts chatting, I would make eye contact with your son and gently tell him hush. eventually he will get it and I'm sure that even though your husband gets frustrated, he does understand that your son is still a baby and isn't doing it on purpose.

maciymommieof3
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM

mine are 10 and 12 and they still do it.....I hope to find a cure all in here :)

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I type to my husband because of this very reason - and my speech is pretty hit or miss even with out having to work around sensory, noise or other distractions.

Seriously. Text and typing may make it so much easier. Email each other back and forth if it's anything more then "hey, what do you want for dinner."

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Same thing happens in my house and we constantly remind my 5 year old that he needs to wait his turn to talk, then when Dad is done he gets to talk.

The double talk doesn't bother me, this was my familyife growing up, but I don't have sensory problems with noise. It does bother my husband.

Your child is very young though and won't understand taking turns at all yet. Honestly, you may need to focus on him when together and save other conversations for later until he's older.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pirate.Mum
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. We had a much better day today...ds is a quick learner and he's already learning what to do when I put a finger to my mouth and then to his. No frustration today even with ds having teething pain and being a bit more fussy than usual. Again, thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)