Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My day at Best Buy

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM
  • 15 Replies

was horrible ugh...First Molly was fine happy as could be, than her destructiveness started. She actually broke the plastic card holder thing on the cart, and it was THICK plastic. Wow really.

Than hubby is looking at computers getting ideas and help ect, so i push her around the store, oh dear lord that wasnt enough either, she started screaming and grabbing every thing in reach.

Than i said screw it and walked her over to Petsmart to see the fish and kitties. That worked for a minute till i told her no to the kitty. So we left there with me carrying her out like i was kidnapping her.

Went back to Best Buy, hubby was still getting things together so i figured it cant be much longer so i'll just let her walk....Yah right...She kept breaking free from holding my hand, kept screaming, kept grabbing everything. So i got tired of it and just said i'll hold her. That too was also a mistake. Screaming hollering yelling scratching hitting...

*sigh* now i remember why i stay home all the time :/ I really hope they can figure out whats wrong with her soon..But her next appt aint till the 23rd of this month.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

This is why I have an SUV with DVD player. If my kids misbehave, I shove them in their carseats to watch a dvd until dad finishes or vice versa. 

How old is your daughter? She seems by the picture that her behaviour is normal for her age. Kids have their moments or days like anyone else. 

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM
3 moms liked this

We also have days like this sometimes, although it does seem to get easier as time goes on. My husband and I take turns while we're out, I usually let him go off on his own first while I watch Violet and then he'll watch her. If it takes me a while then he will usually take her out to the car and wait for me there. I don't know why but if I take her out with just me, she is an angel. Weird...One good trick I found is to bring a big bag of snacks and just sit her in the cart and feed her the whole time we're shopping. Sometimes a little fidgety toy from the gumball machines does the trick too. Distraction is key.

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I hate taking my LO anywhere. It's too hard. Oh and when I'm carrying from the store and he's kicking and screaming like he's being kidnapped, he's also screaming HELP. Lol

I'd just have put her in the car at that point I think.
Hugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
humbledmom310
by Kelly on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:25 AM

She probably has sensory processing disorder, most children on the spectrum do. For a child who has SPD going to a place like Best buy can be actually painful. Too loud, too much visual stimuli..... it is agonizing for these kids. Then add in that they cannot yet communicate to you what is bothering them and this leads to incorrigible behavior and meltdowns. They are just trying to protect themselves.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Hugs mama!  I know this is hard.  We had one of those situations yesterday actually...it was hard and I just had to leave.  

SarahLynn1985
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Yah she is young she turns 2 on the 15th. But normally she's so good out in public. But they are also shorter trips too. I know some crazyness is expected with her age but she just takes it to the extreme :/

Quoting GOBryan:

This is why I have an SUV with DVD player. If my kids misbehave, I shove them in their carseats to watch a dvd until dad finishes or vice versa. 

How old is your daughter? She seems by the picture that her behaviour is normal for her age. Kids have their moments or days like anyone else. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahLynn1985
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I will have to try that if I take her out again lol. Took her out to eat too last night and never again I left in tears with her. Hubby had to finish his dinner alone. Hugs thanks for the tips

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

We also have days like this sometimes, although it does seem to get easier as time goes on. My husband and I take turns while we're out, I usually let him go off on his own first while I watch Violet and then he'll watch her. If it takes me a while then he will usually take her out to the car and wait for me there. I don't know why but if I take her out with just me, she is an angel. Weird...One good trick I found is to bring a big bag of snacks and just sit her in the cart and feed her the whole time we're shopping. Sometimes a little fidgety toy from the gumball machines does the trick too. Distraction is key.

SarahLynn1985
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Lol that's how she was too minus the help. She just had me sooo overwhelmed yesterday

Quoting mypbandj:

I hate taking my LO anywhere. It's too hard. Oh and when I'm carrying from the store and he's kicking and screaming like he's being kidnapped, he's also screaming HELP. Lol

I'd just have put her in the car at that point I think.

Hugs.
SarahLynn1985
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Thanks. I'm in the process of having her tested and evaluated. I will have to read up on that. Thanks a ton

Quoting humbledmom310:

She probably has sensory processing disorder, most children on the spectrum do. For a child who has SPD going to a place like Best buy can be actually painful. Too loud, too much visual stimuli..... it is agonizing for these kids. Then add in that they cannot yet communicate to you what is bothering them and this leads to incorrigible behavior and meltdowns. They are just trying to protect themselves.

SarahLynn1985
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs. Thanks hun. I come here cause I know I'm not alone. And you ladies give awsome support and tips

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  I know this is hard.  We had one of those situations yesterday actually...it was hard and I just had to leave.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)