Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

was horrible ugh...First Molly was fine happy as could be, than her destructiveness started. She actually broke the plastic card holder thing on the cart, and it was THICK plastic. Wow really.

Than hubby is looking at computers getting ideas and help ect, so i push her around the store, oh dear lord that wasnt enough either, she started screaming and grabbing every thing in reach.

Than i said screw it and walked her over to Petsmart to see the fish and kitties. That worked for a minute till i told her no to the kitty. So we left there with me carrying her out like i was kidnapping her.

Went back to Best Buy, hubby was still getting things together so i figured it cant be much longer so i'll just let her walk....Yah right...She kept breaking free from holding my hand, kept screaming, kept grabbing everything. So i got tired of it and just said i'll hold her. That too was also a mistake. Screaming hollering yelling scratching hitting...

*sigh* now i remember why i stay home all the time :/ I really hope they can figure out whats wrong with her soon..But her next appt aint till the 23rd of this month.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Replies (11-15):
GOBryan
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

At that age it's normal to go berzerk. I wouldn't worry about it. Just bring things to make her longer trip more interesting. If you have an Ipad or Kindle Fire, let her play games or watch a movie. 

Quoting SarahLynn1985:

Yah she is young she turns 2 on the 15th. But normally she's so good out in public. But they are also shorter trips too. I know some crazyness is expected with her age but she just takes it to the extreme :/

Quoting GOBryan:

This is why I have an SUV with DVD player. If my kids misbehave, I shove them in their carseats to watch a dvd until dad finishes or vice versa. 

How old is your daughter? She seems by the picture that her behaviour is normal for her age. Kids have their moments or days like anyone else. 

Sunnybrooke_MA
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Oh my gosh, I remember those days! My son did the same thing. People were staring at me like I had 2 heads... he was screaming "help!" and thrashing around as I tried to keep him balanced on my hip and pay for my groceries at the same time. I didn't know what to do... I got confused, my mind went blank, and I felt like an anxiety attack was coming at breakneck speed. I didn't break down in tears until I had him buckled in the car seat (at which time he was happy as a clam). I had embarrassing moments before, but this was more like... sensory overload for me. During that particular incident, I believe I felt, if only for a moment, his pain. I'm sorry you had a rough time... It's never easy, and you are a good Mom for trying to redirect her in those different ways. Thanks for sharing your story, we've all been there at some point... You are not alone! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JennaPBug
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

wow, that sounds just like my son. i can't tell you how many times  i've had to leave a cart of stuff to escape with some bit of dignity. he's also waiting to be fully diagnosed , as of right now he's PPD with speech delay.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Basherte
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I take a 'diaper bag' or something like it with us. Fill it with snacks, drink, and toys and stuff. That way I can get my son's attention and keep him occupied with other things so that the chaos of the store doesn't cause a meltdown.

It works most of the time. There are still times that it doesn't work. My son is 4. I still take that stuff with me. 

wedding countdown

Eve-marie
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Can you move around with an activity pack full of stuff she likes, so when she gets bored or tired you can let her occupy herself. Also a snack and some juice, for a little pick me up. You don't say how old she is here but a kid is gonna get bored fast when parents are shopping, specially if she can't get what she wants. I suspect if you'd said yes to the kitten it would've been different, lol. Best of luck and remember they grow out of it eventually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)