• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nonverbal in Elementary school

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM
  • 7 Replies
What is your ads child's experience in public Elementary school being nonverbal? My son is going into kindergarten at a public school this fall. I am really worried what his experience will be like being nonverbal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Bump for other moms with experience.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Hugs mama!  Bump!

Koltie6
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM
We homeschool our children. I can't imagine sending my six year old to kindergarten . He is developmentally delayed. So we are working at more of a pre k pace . Our school district doesn't allow an aide or a shadow so I rink it would be a disaster.
VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter does not speak in sentences, she is developing some words but uses picture cards to communicate her needs at school. She is going on 5. She has a one on one aide at school. The kids in her class absolutely love her, and try to include her as much as she'll have it. At such a young age I don't think kids have hang-ups or prejudices, they are very accepting and I'm grateful for that every day. She loves school.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

lucasmadre
by Kari on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was verbal for kindergarten but a lovely little boy in his class was not. He had a full time aide which I think is customary for non-verbal children. I would inquire about it. That same little boy is now talking up a storm and no longer needs an aide in 3rd grade. He has advanced so much, it really is a miracle to watch him grow. When I see him on the playground now he smiles, looks right at me and says "Hi!" Robyn is soooo right, at that age the kids accept all children. Good luck, I know it is a hard sending our little ones to school for the first time (I was a wreck!) As long as you do your homework and ask for what he needs he will be fine. Make friends with as many of the staff at school as possible, introduce yourself to the school nurse and tell her about your son, stay in touch with the special ed department and don't forget to thank anyone who helps you. A little appreciation goes a long way. XO

Dora-rulz
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM
My dd started prek when she was 3. She has always been on a sp ed classroom & loves it. She will be 5 when school starts in the fall & they want to start mainstreaming her into a kinder classroom. She will go between a sp ed classroom & a kinder classroom & will always have an aide w/ her. When she was 3 she was only saying a few words & now she is starting to use short sentences. I am both worried & excited at the same time. Kids at this age are so much more accepting so I guess I can breathe a little easier. Does your child have an IEP? Will he be in sp ed classroom? Do they provide an aide for him? Reg teachers are not trained to handle our kids.
Bobsie
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Thanks everyone. Your comments are helpful.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)