• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with daughter

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hi my dd is 9 and is going throw puberty... She has a number of problems like ppd/nos mild retardation(5 years behind) anxiety depression and other problems. how do I get her to understand her body and talk to her about turning in to a young lady...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM
What have you told her so far?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drpatriot
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Maybe you should ask her doctor for medications to switch it off untill she is older mentally. There are ways they can do that. FYI I am on the spectrum myself.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Welcome to the group!  I honestly don't know but wish you the best!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I dont know how I'd handle it i it were my daughter instead of my son. He has an older brother nd was amazed by his body hair...he'd run his hand up his leg hair and just stare at it...lol. I'm hoping someone here has dealt with it and can give you some excellent advice!

busymommy98
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh man I just don't know. My ds has his daddy to explain and my 14-yr-old dd is not on the spectrum so talking to her was relatively easy. I would ask her doc. Usually they have tips you can use. Good luck momma!

kinshipcaremama
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Wow, that's a tough one. Maybe check out Amazon and see if you can find a book about puberty for kids with intellectual disability. You might find something that explains puberty at her developmental level.
Bobcatridge
by Carol on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

There is an American Girl book called The Body Book For Girls.  I used this book with my daughter when she was 9 to explain things.  American Girl has recently published another book called The Body Book for Older Girls.  My daughter will be 12 in a week.  I just bought this second book for her.  The first body book we read together and I could answer her questions.

gordisSanchez
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Thank you all... I've just told her that her body is going to start changing and she just looks at me and said no... Lol I've talked with her dr. And she said we could do the depo but then we would have to change her meds again and that can put her in the physic hospital again:/ so I guess I'll take it day by day till it happens:( again thank you all so much. I'm going to go check out that book tommarow
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with maybe talking to a doctor about meds until she is ready. Does she have a therapist you could ask about this

Basherte
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I have no clue. I've had all sons. 

I think now I'm even more grateful for that. No offense.

Here's a bump!!!

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)