Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Push and pull!! Great social and verbal skills, screaming continues... AUGH

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello ladies,

So this weekend has been interesting?

My PDD nos 6 year old has been very expressive. He has initiated conversation, interacted with his brother and his brother's friend, he even rode his bicycle for 2 rounds. It was amazing!

The screaming persists, nonstop. Ignoring does not work. He spends hours screaming. I have tried redirection and praise. I had 5 hours of sleep last night, I have had three pots of coffee just to keep awake. I have two assignments worth 35% of my final grade. This is in the first class I am struggling with since going back to school since 2011. I popped his butt twice today. I have not spanked him in over 6 months, literally.

I love that he was so social and had comprehensive, logical conversations with me. I love that he skyped with my mom, sister, and nieces. He was on for 15 mns, smiling, talking. It was amazing.

I'm wondering if he's overstimulated or if its me

-hanging on by a thread

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like both of you are a little overstimulated momma. It sounds like it was a great day otherwise. Maybe everything that he did was too much in one day for him. I really hope the screaming gets better and that you get some sleep. Is there someone who can take the kids for the day to give you a break. Sounds like you could really use one.

mariat2
by Maria on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm happy your son is making conversations...maybe he is expirimenting.Once my son started speakinig he would get like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this

My son screams non stop when he's over stimulated and need a break. What we do is we try to seperate him and give him a aquiet area to just get it out of his system. I know that when I'm over stimulated, the best thing I can do for myself is get a little quiet alone time to relax... so that's why I make sure I offer it to my son. I actually make it a requirement that he can't "play" or do anything that would rev him up anymore than he already is. He can rest, read a book, take a bath, anything htat's calming and the opposite of stimulating.

It helps.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you're both overstimulated! But it still sounds like there was so much progress along with the screaming.  I don't know what the heck  to tell you to do about that! Hope you get some sleep, mama!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Big hugs mama!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Has he learned coping skills?  Maybe he needs to see a therapist or you can teach him ways of dealing with stress.  What words to say when he is angry and said. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Quoting kajira:

My son screams non stop when he's over stimulated and need a break. What we do is we try to seperate him and give him a aquiet area to just get it out of his system. I know that when I'm over stimulated, the best thing I can do for myself is get a little quiet alone time to relax... so that's why I make sure I offer it to my son. I actually make it a requirement that he can't "play" or do anything that would rev him up anymore than he already is. He can rest, read a book, take a bath, anything htat's calming and the opposite of stimulating.

It helps.

For my son, I think this applies as well. He will "yelp" with me. At school he use to scream, litterally, said the teacher. I've changed classrooms for him, and there is less stress for him, less pressure on him to perform and conform, and lo and behold, the screaming in the classroom has stopped.

I don't know if I would use the word "overstimulated" for my son -- maybe. It seems like its stress for him. Like things in his world are chaotic and he shuts down by making repetitive loud noises. When I make a serene environment for him, he calms down and the loud noises stop.

I think these ladies have very good advice OP! I hope it gets better for you.

hwyangel
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM
What used to help with my son (he is 28 now) is I would put his favorite blanket over him and play his favorite record.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Thankyou for all of your feedback, ladies. I will try to give him "quiet time."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)