Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

water aversion?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

my 4 year old seems to have an aversion to water he has meltdowns over getting wet at all, hand washing, baths, showers, washing his face. anyone else have this problem? how do you handle it?

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like a sensory issue. Have you ever filled out a sensory profile? Does he have an OT?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girl_incognito
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:02 AM

I agree with this as well...

Quoting mypbandj:

It sounds like a sensory issue. Have you ever filled out a sensory profile? Does he have an OT?

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Definately sensory! I know with us, it helped to have a water visor when I washed his hair...also let him choose a loofah to wash himself, along with lots of bubbles and water toys!

Quoting mypbandj:

Myspace Comments

lucasmadre
by Kari on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, my son was like that at that age and this is how we overcame it. I bought all manner of bath toys- colored fiz for the water, soap crayons, plastic boats, bubbles etc. whatever you think he might like. Then I made a very inviting bath (not too deep) with all these things. It was like an amusement park! he couldn't resist it but I didn't make it a "bath" no washing his face or anything- just fun. It was the start to him enjoying water, after some time I introduced a spongy bath frog and started hopping him around and before long we were washing with him. He also liked those bath pupets that you can soap up and he washed himself with those. It took a little time, I think the first time I set it up he started by playing with the stuff from the outside of the bath but soon got frustrated that he couldn't really reach stuff so got right in.

Hope this does the trick, it wasn't overnight...it took some time.  XO

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:30 AM

These ladies have the right ideas...hugs and good luck mama!  My son LOVES the water.

occumommy
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I should explain the situation, while their father and i have joint custody, they live with him during the week. Their father is also aspbergers, he does not allow me any access to their medical. I am sure you can imagine how well the communication works there. So there are a lot of things i don`t know and have to wait for him to tell me, generally if i ask he gets angry and says something along the lines of "we`ll talk later" i know he doesn`t have an OT, but have no idea about a sensory profile.

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaurieMomof4
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

My son is very bothered by water in his face. Giving him a bath has always been a challenge. Now that he's a bit older we can discuss it, I can have him lean his head back far enough to wash his hair and not gt water in his face. Swimming has been an issue because he doesn't want to put his face in the water to learn. I'm hoping this summer will be better. We swim a lot in the summer and I'd like him to be able to fully enjoy it. 

unusualmom
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I cant keep my kids out of the water!  Maybe brush him lightly with a damp cloth.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM
My son is the opposite, loves being water and used to even want to play in the toilet when he was younger :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN