Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

(UPDATE) Have to shave my sons head =(

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 17 Replies

My 4 yr old once again has lice, So I have to get his head shaved.. and I have to do it myself because I dont wanna take him to a place if he has them..   Thing is... He absolutley HATES his head touched.. brushed, combed, and it's impossible to use the shampoo on him because he will flipp out and won't sit still.  So today is going to be fun because im going to have to have my bf hold him on his lap while I use the hair cutters. I just know he's gonna be Peed off for a while..  Ugh.   If anyone has suggestions on anything, Would love to hear <3 Happy St. Patricks Day everyone

UPDATE: Well, it took 3 people.. to do his hair.. and appx. about 3 hours. I think we did good for what we could do, i don't think a barber shop could have done more, (last time we took him to a place, they charged us half price because they couldn't finish the job)  

Here are pics of a difference. 

He has a school Evaluation tomorrow, so As long as he can look presentable, and ofc lice free.. but i am definitley going to try that Tree tea oil thing I just saw in reply.. Thanks everyone! 

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
busymommy98
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Poor baby!! We haven't had that fun issue yet. Does he have a favorite blanket? If so, you could try what I do for my ds. Wrap him in it while you are cutting his locks and see how that works. I throw it in the dryer until it is nice and toasty, he loves that. I wonder if he would do well with getting something he really wants afterwards if he lets you cut without a meltdown. We do Frosties from Wendys if he sits still through the whole thing without screaming. It is sensory for my ds so we have to be creative. Good luck momma!

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM

We had a scare a couple of months back, and after reading a lot about it I found that mayonnaise is supposed to get rid of it. You slather it on and leave it a few hours and then comb out any nits after you shampoo it. I guess it would be easier to just shave it, I don't have that option with my daughter. Luckily she didn't get it, phew!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My son hates to have his hair cut. I try to let him hold the clippers before I start. I also have the IPAD oh his lap so he has something to focus on. Dad has him on his lap and as soon as the cut is over dad runs to the shower with him to get the hair off. It's getting a little easier each time. Hope it goes well for you.

t1gger143
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
A sucker and angry birds are the only way we make it through hair cuts. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bugsmama149
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

How does he do with bribery? I know that maybe doesn't sound like "good parenting" but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. My son can't resist being bribed with something. hell....neither can I.

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

No advice on cutting we worked up to them for 3 yrs before having my sons hair buzzed at the hairdresser.

i have never dealt with lice I add 2 drops of teatree oil to shampoo they apparently hate the smell.  I have been doing this for yrs.

unusualmom
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My son holds water googles over his eyes and I went and got a cape at the beauty sully store.  Oh, and kids clippers are quieter.  

It doesnt take all the stress away but it helps.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I'm sorry mama!  We keep my son's head shaved anyway...just a personal preference:)  Hugs!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

When Ashton was younger he would only get a haircut sitting on dh's lap..sometimes eating a sucker

mommy4lyf
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Can you wait for him to sleep first before you shave his head? Find a quieter razor...make quick passes and if he gets up, have someone to hold him for a little bit to finish the job.  I used to do this to my son but now, he's used to have his head shaved. I still put a lot of powder so the hair won't stick on his skin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)