Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sensory Heaven... in a box!

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM
  • 19 Replies
3 moms liked this

If you've ever wondered what that looks like, here it is:)  Total cost for 70+ gallon rubbermaid container + beans = $150.  We went huge b/c I knew that there was no WAY only one kid was going to be in this thing.  Beans bought at Costco (only had pinto) and Wallmart (had all kinds just in small bags, so bought a bunch of each).  Amazon.com to the rescue for a $30 storage bin of epic proportions.  

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww 

MamaFrankie
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah no, my son would line every bean and grain of rice up around the house with my luck LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Very cool!

coleysmama
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Nice!
We have a big sand & water table filled with lentils. The lentils work with most sand toys that my son loves
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Last year, I filled up a sensory table with birdseed and trucks and shovels. Ds loved that thing! He used it outside and if he spilled any, the birds were happy to clean it up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I also made a tub filled with milk kids. It takes a lot of milk and help from friends but its pretty cool. It's colorful, the kids can scoop it or sort the colors and its easy to clean up (compared to beans or worse, rice!).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kinshipcaremama
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Beans are good but spendy. Every year at our county fair there is a giant "sand box" filled with cracked corn. My kids looove it. You can get cracked corn at a feed store a lot less than beans. ( Can you tell I live in a rural area?)
KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I have been pleasantly surprised with how many beans are NOT finding their way out of the box.  My 4 year old knows if beans go out, so does she.  My 2.5 year old has no such knowledge but watches his sister like a hawk and I only had to tell him once "beans stay IN" for him to get the picture.  That boy is not about to do ANYTHING that would end his time in the beans! 

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Awesome, I want one!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Good Idea!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)