Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Intuniv

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 14 Replies
Has anyone used this in their children with ADHD also? I'm trying to gather any useful info about this medication before suggesting it for my son. We've been through so many medications, I just want to find something to at least keep him in school all day everyday :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
petesstepmom
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

We have used it and it is fantastic.  It is hugely expensive!!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry momma. My ds doesn't take any meds

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, we don't use meds, but just wanted to give you support. That was one med my MIL would keep trying to push on us until she got the hint that we don't medicate.
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Have not tried Intuiv.  DS ASD 6yo is on Tenex,a high blood pressure med originally,in his case an ADHD type.  He is constantly on the go.  He has been on it a few months and his attending to task ,attention has been better.  No side effects.  I'm all for meds for him.  He can try it out and we can always stop it if he has bad side effects.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Have not tried Intuiv.  DS ASD 6yo is on Tenex,a high blood pressure med originally,in his case an ADHD type.  He is constantly on the go.  He has been on it a few months and his attending to task ,attention has been better.  No side effects.  I'm all for meds for him.  He can try it out and we can always stop it if he has bad side effects.

intuniv is the long acting form of tenex :)

at first i tried tenex and i thought it didn't work or made him worse.

Turns out, I wasn't flipping the bottle so he was taking air! *shaking my head*

I've started again, and so far so good :)

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting SandyLaxner:

TY,I did not know that.  It is liquid?

Master_Debater
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM
He's currently on Clonidine which is another hypertension/ADHD Med. We are just so lost. He's only 7 and already has been on Ritalin, Concerta, Strattera, Vyvanse, and now Adderall. Plus currently on Risperdal too. Just ugh

Quoting SandyLaxner:

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Quoting Master_Debater:

He's currently on Clonidine which is another hypertension/ADHD Med. We are just so lost. He's only 7 and already has been on Ritalin, Concerta, Strattera, Vyvanse, and now Adderall. Plus currently on Risperdal too. Just ugh

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Sorry Mama:(  My lil guy is on Risperdal too.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Ashton takes Tenex and will probably go on Intuniv when he gets older. It has worked for him so far.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting SandyLaxner:

TY,I did not know that.  It is liquid?

Tenex is. I think intuniv is a pill. Tenex comes in a small bottle that you have to keep in the fridge. My son also takes adderall. The combo has been good so far. It took a LONG time to adjust it just right.

If he gets too much adderall his autistic traits increase -- a lot of repetitive sounds and behavior and tv scripting.

I think alot of that has died down b/c his school is now a better fit and at home i have learned that, at least for my son, its a sign that he is either stressed out or overwhelmed -- like he doesn't know what he is supposed to be doing, maybe boredom. Anyways, I observed his ABA teacher when ds got like that. She just got down to his level and smiled and talked to him about what *he* was talking about or making noises about and that seemed to really bring down his stress levels. I do that at home now and its been very helpful...

sorry i digressed. Another thing is, my son's meds have to be especially compounded to a smaller dose than what is available. adderall only comes in 5mg, but you can ask a compounding pharmacy to make it whatever dose you need. The right dosage was so important. I personally also don't take generic.

I hope it works for you mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN