Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

showering

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am a single mom of a 12yr old daughter who is in the spectum. She is almost 13 and I am still having issues with her bathing herself. she knows what to do, just seems like she doesnt truly care about doing it. I have tried to work with her thru the yrs, but she seems to have no intrest in it. Help! does anyone have any advice on how I can encurrge her to do this task?

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Hi and welcome to the group!  Have you tried making a chart either pictures or in writing of step by step what she needs to do? Perhaps post it somewhere near the shower. My son does great we he has each step written out (or in a picture form) for him to see.

girl_incognito
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I read somewhere if a child can check off the steps it also helps. 

Quoting Charizma77:

Hi and welcome to the group!  Have you tried making a chart either pictures or in writing of step by step what she needs to do? Perhaps post it somewhere near the shower. My son does great we he has each step written out (or in a picture form) for him to see.

To the original poster, I don't know if you have thought about it, but maybe a little positive reinforcement? Extra time on a perferred activity or special interest for the hygiene checklist being completed (and followed through LOL)

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Make it a game.  :)  With a reward for doing it right.  Also, a visual step by step might help.  :) 

I help both my boys in the shower.  They clean themselves, and I wash their hair.  They both wear their swimming masks (they hate water on their faces). 

amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Ha!  My 12 year old son is the SAME way!  There are times when I have to go in and remind him to use shampoo.  

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Have you tried posting a bath schedule in the shower. I would laminate it and use velcro for each step. I would have each step velcroed on and when she completes the step she can pull it off and put it in a bowl or something attached to the schedule. Once all the steps have been pulled off she should have completed the necessary steps to showering.

iamtryingforme
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe fancy smelling soap & shampoo. Let her pick it out. This may make her feel like she has something of her own & encourage her.

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I have the same trouble with my kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Hi! I was going to suggest a chart... We had one years ago to get my son used to the school routine.

I also like the reward idea someone suggested .

Dillon will be 12 and we still use a visor because he hates water in his face! He also prefers bubble baths over showers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Maybe also find a reward she likes... she may or may not be girly, but if she WAS, make up, make overs, fancy hair stuff, etc  anything that might help motivate her.

adreeves
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM

my son who is 13 still wants to take baths. He is getting to big for the bathtub. I still wash his hair. He can wash the fronts of his arms and legs and armpits but I have to wash his back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)