Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

GFCF Diets and Autism- Have you tried it?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 25 Replies

I have been doing a lot of research about the affects of yeast overgrowth in children. I am starting to think that my family, not just my son with Asperger's, would benefit from a Gluten free Casien free diet. My oldest son has ADHD, my second has Asperger's, and we suspect that one of my twins has Asperger's as well. As I said, I have been doing a lot of research but I am a little overwhelmed by the looks of a GFCF diet. Has anyone tried this diet? What is the best advice you could give? I am looking for a nutritionist to help and I have an appointment to talk to his pediatrician as well. The research on the effects of candida overgrowth is eye opening to say the least!

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
It's too much for me. But I have a friend who does it with her son. They've been at it now for 5 yrs plus!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GeoRocks
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Bump is like more in depth info. My best friends family is gfcf and has been for two years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM
We tried it for a while but my ASD son refused to eat the entire time, moving himself to a fully liquid diet. My older NT kids didn't care for the taste of most of the food and we found we would have to cut a lot of things we all love to eat. In the end, we phased back into eating regularly.
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Where gluten-free and while it helps our bodies feel better, don't expect it to cure autism. :)

If the body FEELS better, the brain and body WORK better though.

VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, we do a gluten and casein free diet. If the problem is yeast then you'll need to go even further and go grain free altogether, as the grains, sugars and starch feed yeast. My daughter is grain, dairy, starch, sugar, soy and artificial ingredient free. I would recommend a book by Julie Matthews called Nourishing Hope for Autism, it explains the why and the how of the diets and supplements. I would also like to note that your pediatrician may not back the diet change, many are very old school and will tell you its not proven. Well, it is proven, they have just not caught up. The American Medical Association accepted the gut/brain connection in ASD in 2012.  I found a lot of great videos on you tube put out by ARI (the autism research institute) and others. I have found wonderful success with my daughter on the SCD or specific carbohydrate diet. Its a commitment but its well worth it. You could try a dan doctor (link) or a MAPS doctor (link) if you want a doctor who will support you in your biomedical treatments. We use a dan doctor and its been well worth it. Here is an article on yeast you might find interesting (link)

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

KatyTylersMom
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We have been GFCFSF for over a year now.  Saw huge differences in our son, not so much in our daughter.  It's just food, anyone can do it, and it can't hurt (other than your food budget when you shop at whole foods!) so why not give it a 6 month trial:)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Never tried it but good luck mama!

Koltie6
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with everything you said. We have been GFCF sugar free dye free preservative free and are working on grains. I would also like to add that some new research was done at Arkansas Children's Hospital regarding folic acid and Autism. The findings are shocking. 90 percent of children with Autism have an antibody that blocks the absorbtion of folic acid . This is huge no folic acid can wreck havoc on the central nervous system. In addition the protein in milk blocks this absorbtion as well. This is why most kids do better on Casein free diets. Many people think going GFCF means special food when in reality it means real food and cutting out the junk that none if us should be eating. If people don't think diet is key they need to rethink it. It plays a major role in Autism ADHD cancer diabetes and every other disease we experience . Maybe it won't cure Autism but it is like changing for these children when followed correctly .

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Yes, we do a gluten and casein free diet. If the problem is yeast then you'll need to go even further and go grain free altogether, as the grains, sugars and starch feed yeast. My daughter is grain, dairy, starch, sugar, soy and artificial ingredient free. I would recommend a book by Julie Matthews called Nourishing Hope for Autism, it explains the why and the how of the diets and supplements. I would also like to note that your pediatrician may not back the diet change, many are very old school and will tell you its not proven. Well, it is proven, they have just not caught up. The American Medical Association accepted the gut/brain connection in ASD in 2012.  I found a lot of great videos on you tube put out by ARI (the autism research institute) and others. I have found wonderful success with my daughter on the SCD or specific carbohydrate diet. Its a commitment but its well worth it. You could try a dan doctor (link) or a MAPS doctor (link) if you want a doctor who will support you in your biomedical treatments. We use a dan doctor and its been well worth it. Here is an article on yeast you might find interesting (link)

Koltie6
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Do it. When done correctly it can be life changing for your child. New research at Arkansas Children's Hospital links milk to the blocking of folic acid in children with Autism. I encourage you to read this new research and have your child tested. It sounds crazy until you understand the chemistry behind it. The best advice I can give is take a deep breath and do a little at a time. There are awesome foods available but eventually you won't need them. It's easy to eat gluten free when you cut out packaged prepared food that none of us should be eating. If you have baked chicken broccli and brown rice for dinner you just ate gluten free. If you had a steak baked potatoe and salad you ate gluten free. Many people make the mistake of buying too many expensive packaged foods . It's ok to get started but you can't just exchange gluten free donuts for regular ones lol I also learned to avoid flour mixes with bean flours they are the nasty taste people are mentioning. My son was non verbal had terrible GI issues as in diarrhea 10 or so times a day head banging toe walking seizures. His gut is healing speech unbelievable 4 to 5 word sentences with no speech therapy and our seizures are less than 1 a year. We see an awesome Dr in Austin Texas who was at Baylor in Houston. He specialized in brain surgery at Baylor but is in private practice in Austin and deals with many types of brain issues including Autism. If you go to his website you will find a lot of detail explanation regarding our children's behaviors and whats behind them. Dr Kendal Stewart . Com . He takes insurance as well as Medicare and people come from all over US and foreign countries to see him. My son is living proof of the changes that can be made. I thank God everyday for leading us to him.
Koltie6
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Do it. When done correctly it can be life changing for your child. New research at Arkansas Children's Hospital links milk to the blocking of folic acid in children with Autism. I encourage you to read this new research and have your child tested. It sounds crazy until you understand the chemistry behind it. The best advice I can give is take a deep breath and do a little at a time. There are awesome foods available but eventually you won't need them. It's easy to eat gluten free when you cut out packaged prepared food that none of us should be eating. If you have baked chicken broccli and brown rice for dinner you just ate gluten free. If you had a steak baked potatoe and salad you ate gluten free. Many people make the mistake of buying too many expensive packaged foods . It's ok to get started but you can't just exchange gluten free donuts for regular ones lol I also learned to avoid flour mixes with bean flours they are the nasty taste people are mentioning. My son was non verbal had terrible GI issues as in diarrhea 10 or so times a day head banging toe walking seizures. His gut is healing speech unbelievable 4 to 5 word sentences with no speech therapy and our seizures are less than 1 a year. We see an awesome Dr in Austin Texas who was at Baylor in Houston. He specialized in brain surgery at Baylor but is in private practice in Austin and deals with many types of brain issues including Autism. If you go to his website you will find a lot of detail explanation regarding our children's behaviors and whats behind them. Dr Kendal Stewart . Com . He takes insurance as well as Medicare and people come from all over US and foreign countries to see him. My son is living proof of the changes that can be made. I thank God everyday for leading us to him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN