Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Haircuts

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 25 Replies
2 moms liked this
So it's been since probably thanksgiving that we have cut Levi's hair. Well I decided to trim it tonight with the clippers like we do a every few months. Never again! The vibration scared the crap out of him and he had a huge meltdown, took over an hour to calm him down. I had managed to get about half if it done in the few strokes through. I got him in the bath and got in and scissor cut the rest with out any issues (something I've never done and a professional probably would cringe at the detail) but its done and ok. It's amazing the little things you take for granted that used to be so easy.

But my question is what do you do for haircuts? Tips, advice? Any recommendations on good hair salons for autistic kids (chain places or az local.)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimmiky
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Awe my hubbys name is Levi.
I usually try to trim William's hair with the scissors since he freaks at the sound of the electric buzzer. His haircut wont be winning any awards anytime soon and he sometimes is a little crooked for a few days before I can even it out but I do what I can. He is over 4 now so I might try to take him soon to a salon.
I'll be interested in what other moms have to say to this post too
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I cut D's too... He always freaked out at the salon so I figured I'd give it a shot. He's going to be 12 soon so after all these years he should be used to it!

I gave no great advice except it will get better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariat2
by Maria on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
ummm yes my son cried everytime we took him to the salon and I tried to cut his hair but I'm terrible at it...now at age 5 he goes and sits calmly in his chair and gets a sucker after. ohh!!and not anyone could cut his hair it had to be someone with good expirience with kids not some new lady.I advice you b patient and if your hubby or other kids cut their hair too let him see so maybe he'll want to b encouraged...just some tips
GeoRocks
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Thanks for the tips ladies!
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I put on my son's favorite TV show. I buckle him into a booster seat. Then, I give him sensory toys to play with. I try to limit combing as much as possible because he dislikes the combing more than the scissors.

I cut it every other week and you get better at it the more you do it. Also, if you cut it often, you will take a lot less time. My son doesn't like to sit too long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cubanmom84
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Crap I hear the word "haircut" and I want to have a melt down lol mine screams bloody murder, like your killing him, but I have to do it cause unfortunately he came out with my curls, and if it gets too long I have to comb it and wash it and guess what, I rather him scream one every two months than every other day that I have to wash it and comb it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

We started shaving my son's head when he was really small, so he just eventually got used to it and stopped fighting us!  Hugs mama!

she-ra2000
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is okay with clipper cutting. I'm a hairdresser, but my husband cuts it most of the time. He used to laugh alot saying the vibration tickled. But my husband's deep voice would straighten that out.:) Just try to find someone who's good with kids period, and they'll have the patience to deal with him. And go during the ealy part of the week when it's not too busy so you'll avoid a crowd. And I work in a chain salon, but just call around and find out before even going to one too, that may save you some time.

Koltie6
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
We have a kids haircut place called Snipits. Everyone who works there is trained in autism sensory issues. They are awesome. My son begs for a haircut .
weightedblanket
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

This was always a very difficult task with Cody. I havealways had  to sit in front of the television with his absolute favorite show on so he would  attempt to sit in one spot. I have gotten very good at giving really quick , short haircuts over the years. Cody  is 20 now and has finally let  me use clippers on him but it still needs to be a quick job. Our big challenge at the moment is shaving.  If I was closer I would be happy to help with the haircuts. Although like you, mine would not fall into the professional status. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN