Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Introduction from Pembroke Pines, FL

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hello, My name is Sharon and am the mother of a beautiful 12 year old boy (Christian) who was diagnosed with ASD at the age of 6. He also has anxiety issues and traits of OCD. We live in Pembroke Pines, FL and he currently attends Elementary School; will transition to Middle School in the Fall. I now face the decision of whether to place him in an inclusion classroom or Specialized Variation Education (SVE). I am awaiting the recommendations of the ESE Dept at his School. Christian is the cutest, sweetest, most gentle person I have ever known. Keeping him safe and well are my highest priorities. I look forward becoming a active member of this group and hope to connect personally with any mothers in the Fort Lauderdale area. About me... I was born and raised in England. I moved here 20 years ago. I am married with 2 other children and I work at a private university.
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Hi Sharon. My name is Brenda. I have a 2 almost 3 year old that was diagnosed July 2012. I have never heard of Specialized Variation Education. Could you tell me more about it. I have never been to England but was born in Germany. My father was stationed there. I love Europe and all the travelling and great foods. Welcome to the group. Can't wait to read more of your posts

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Welcome to the group!

I use to live in Pem Pines! I kind of miss the weather, though, in PP it is too hot! lol

amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Welcome to the group Sharon!  My son will be transitioning to middle school this fall as well, and I'm very nervous.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Hi Sharon.  I live in Tamarac, FL now and originally from the lower Hudson Valley of NY.  My son who will be 5 in June was diagnosed with mild Autism when age 3.  He goes to Tamarac Elementary in the ESE preschool there.  He will start kindergarden next year.  His IEP meeting is tomorrow to discuss if he will need assistance in Kindergarden.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Welcome to the group!
SharonSP
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Hi Brenda, thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I can remember when my son was 3 and I was trying to figure him out, Autism didn't even cross my mind. I just thought his delay was due to premature birth. We've both come a long way since then. As for SVE, I am trying to find out more info myself. I just think it's another name for ESE but for students are not able to achieve the normal curriculum and therefore cannot attain a high school diploma. I think it's an alternative diploma. When I have my next IEP meeting I will definitely find out more info and post. I hope you and your little one are doing well. Oh btw - I LOVE German chocolate --- MILKA (Yummy)

SharonSP
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Hi and thank you welcoming me to the group. You are right, Pembroke Pines is too hot but having lived in England for 20 years, I'd rather boil than freeze... Actually, it's been a little chilly of late but hurricane season is just around the corner - sigh!  Hope all is well.

SharonSP
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Hi Amy, thank you for your welcome. I can definitely understand your being nervous about Middle School. I have heard some hair-raising stories about Middle School students and will be making an appointment with the ESE/SVE department to visit the school and discuss my son's education, services and safety. Good luck with the transition!

SharonSP
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Hi emarin77, thank you for reading and responding to my post. It's a happy but scary time when our babies are transitioning thru the school system. I think the Broward County School Board and the Superintendent's Office knows my name by now. Last year my son's school was out of compliance of 3 legal issues. Let's just say I ended up having several personal cell phones at my disposal. Good luck on your son's IEP and let me know if you need any help deciphering the "lingo". Take care!
SharonSP
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Hi Darby, thank you for welcoming me to the group. I look forward to chatting more with you and all the other group members. Hope all is well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN