Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Autism a Priority

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

Cantor: House Majority Will Make Autism a Priority

WASHINGTON, DC (March 20, 2013) -- Responding to today's report of a 1 in 50 autism prevalence rate, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) posted a blog on the Autism Speaks Facebook page pledging to make autism a House Republican priority.

"Today's news that 1 in 50 school kids has autism is sobering," Cantor wrote. "These children and their hardworking parents are overcoming challenges on a daily basis, and in Congress we must prioritize policies that will assist them."

Cantor was responding to the release of findings by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which found a 1 in 50 prevalence rate in a telephone survey of 100,000 parents nationally with children aged 6 to 17. The findings do not replace the official 1 in 88 prevalence rate. (To learn more about the study, go here)

In his blog post, Cantor said House Republicans this year "will renew our focus on school choice, which allows parents with autistic children to find the best school that suits their needs. This is critically important. We will also address prioritizing medical research funding, so that we can continue to study the cause and treatment of disorders such as autism.

"Working with parents and organizations like Autism Society and Autism Speaks," he continued, "I know we can take positive steps forward. On April 2, World Autism Day, we will have an opportunity to reflect on these issues, and the children they affect."

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
unusualmom
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Ive asked before:  I wanted to know how many kids with autism are severe and how many are moderate.  

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL yeah I'ma wait on THIS CONGRESS to get something done... NOPE.  Good that one of them was shocked and worried but yeah Congress is not going to be the ones heading the charge to find out what is going on and how to help.  Now if they want to exempt autism research from their self-imposed sequester or you know, figure out some reasonable solutions so that there ISN'T a sequester then that would be nice...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I agree with the comment above.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Not putting my hopes into it though!

Carreon
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Why did Cantor vote to cut funding that is specifically for children with Autism? Actions speak louder then words.

Carreon
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Does it matter? The spectrum is so large but a issue is a issue. If we were speaking about Cancer funding would you ask how severe the cancer was? Is brain cancer deserve more attention then liver or skin cancer? It is the same with Autism it effects the child and the family a little or a lot. 

ms.bardes
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Agree also I don't believe it until I see it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)