Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Now What......

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:59 AM
  • 41 Replies
Well... After the IEP /BIP , the school only followed the plans for about a week:/ after constant calls/emails and visits to try and get them to do their jobs, I pulled William out of school on Wednesday and I am now homeschooling him. I feel this is the best for him. In the last three weeks he was suspended twice and put in ISS 6xs, twice he was with two other kids, skipping class with two other kids, other behaviors were being disruptive.
I had William do a math and reading assessment yesterday..he is at 7th grade level for reading and 3rd grade level for math (he is in 8thgrade). I could use some help /suggestions on some low cost ways to get started, and to help raise his math levels.
any suggestions /help would be much appreciated:) thank you!
-Tina
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea mama...hugs and good luck!  My son is 4 years old and we haven't gotten that far yet:)

mommaTLC186
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Mine are 14,13&7 and I haven't gotten this far lol I'm excited, overwhelmed , worried, happy ...about this new beginning for my 13yr old lol I think once I get into the hang of it and have a better direction, it will go well.
MommaHubbard
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I am a college student who dropped-out of school in 9th grade. I have had to take SEVERAL remedial math classes but I am now taking my last half of college level calculus (and I'm a science major-so don't get discouraged!). Now that you have him out of that environment, it will be easier for him to focus on his schoolwork. Try going to purplemath.com. I used that website to help me. Also, youtube actually has a lot of good videos of people showing multiple methods on how to work different kinds of math problems. My calculus prof has posted some resources for us and I will post them here later. Good luck Momma!

patnic
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I'd probably check the homeschooling cafemom group. They might have some great ideas for you.

For math, I'd start with manipulatives as much as possible. 

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM
If he is into math, maybe try cool math games website. What I use the most for my son is Splash Math ipad apps.
Maybe also look into the k12.com website.
busymommy98
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Hugs momma, I don't know. Our school district is very supportive of ds's needs. My son is also behind on reading, writing and math. We are crossing over to junior high next year so we shall see how it goes. Have you talked to his psychiatrist? (if he sees one) I would-or go to the school superintendant. Good luck momma!

Koltie6
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM
We use teaching textbooks for math. They are on the computer. My 12 year old loves them . You can try them out at teaching textbooks . Com
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I was so hoping  the school was going to follow through with the new IEP and BIP. I wish I could help with the homeschooling but I am not there yet. There is a homeschool program called K12 you might want to check them out

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Look at the online homeschool options. I know many states offer them as an alternative to public school meaning they are free. The thing is, it's probably too late to do this year. But you could get signed up for next year now. And in the meantime, go get some workbooks for math, look up some apps and invest in an iPad. Take him to the library and make sure he is always reading. Pick books you remember reading in school then look up projects to do with them online. There's so much info online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaTLC186
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I graduated high school (in Detroit) and only ever had remedial math so I feel somewhat lost in trying to teach math lol Maybe it's a good thing that he is at 3rd grade level, we can learn together :) Thank you so much for the website and youtube suggestions. I never thought to look for math instruction on Youtube (Ive only ever went on YouTube to check out music videos lol I'm more of a book person then internet/tv person.

Thank you :)

Quoting MommaHubbard:

I am a college student who dropped-out of school in 9th grade. I have had to take SEVERAL remedial math classes but I am now taking my last half of college level calculus (and I'm a science major-so don't get discouraged!). Now that you have him out of that environment, it will be easier for him to focus on his schoolwork. Try going to purplemath.com. I used that website to help me. Also, youtube actually has a lot of good videos of people showing multiple methods on how to work different kinds of math problems. My calculus prof has posted some resources for us and I will post them here later. Good luck Momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)