Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Aspergers was dicovered in you child...tell your story.

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
  • 21 Replies
2 moms liked this

My story is...

I saw him grow up before my own eyes with nick names and silly little things he does.

Then came time for going to school. I though you had it made. You couild read so good and were sweet as a kitten.

My first parent teachers conferance I though was going to be a breeze. Then what the teach sais' brought me to my knees.

She said you are good at reading, but could be better. For then meaning of what you read was important not that you new every letter.

She said you didn't hear the fire alarm ringing and your desk was a mess. Wow I said I guess you are right!

Then what could be so wrong???

Hes so bright and quiet, caring and clumsy!

This was my first clue.

There was more, but he had to wait.

His brother of 8 was not reading well at all. So he was the one who taught me how to look into a child and into web pages and see that there is a lable for kids that need extra help!

Now all of my six precious ones have been tested. labled and addressed.

But what is it that Gabriel has that is differant than the rest?

Thank you God for that hand flapping!

This is a way to show me that Gabriel is stimming and now I can see!

There is Autism waving at me!

Laura.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraT-H
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

BUMP!

lady_katie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

My son doesn't have aspergers, but I do. It was first discovered in me around 1st grade by my teacher. At that time, autism wasn't very well known, so she had called my parents to tell them that she suspected I had ADHD because I couldn't stop "fidgeting" (stimming) in class. My parents didn't believe in ADHD though, so they ignored it. 20 years later I got myself diagnosed after a childhood of typical AS traits, and put myself in behavioral therapy. Better late than never ;) 

LauraT-H
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

So I have been diagnosed with ADD, although when younger I was always moving. I am now shaking my foot as I write this. Tell me more, Please.I am still learning and am new here. Although I am not new.

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't have aspergers, but my son and I were btoh diagnosed with classic autism.

I stim, I read fine, but talking verbally is hard for me. I also have trouble following verbal conversations. I do best with written instructions.

I was a "special needs kid" though I was undiagnosed. I did the therapies, special ed programs, interventions, to the point where I didn't get to just be a kid and enjoy my life. People were so busy trying to fix me, and find things wrong with me, I didn't get to just enjoy myself.

As an adult, I've made a point to offer a better balance. my son is my son, I love him for who he is, we work on behavioral issues and quirks - but it's fine with me if he's quirky... 

My husband adores me because i'm not normal. the things that would drive most people insane, are the things he loves most about me. That I stim and fidget, that I have whacky ideas, that my speech is silly and sometimes quite comical in a way that amuses him. I'm not easily offended or butt hurt so we make a good team. He's willing to do most of the talking when required, and I can do the research, the writing, I can try to explain what it's like to be different, and he'll stick up for me and advocate when needed. he also explains things to me, ranging from motivation to what people are actually "saying" when they say things that don't match body language, or they hint at things that go over my head.

I don't see being autistic as this horrible thing, but I didn't find out until I was an adult, and by then, I was just happy to know why I was different so I could work with it instead of spending my entire life feeling like I was broken and needed fixed.

I'm just me... and I'm okay with that. :)

lady_katie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Here's a link to some information on how AS manefists in females http://help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6a/wp_a58d4f6a.html 

If you find that helpful, I would recommend reading her book "Aspergirls" which goes into detail on the traits. 

Tony Attwood says that an ADD/ADHD diagnosis is a common pathway to a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, so it is possible that you could have been misdiagnosed (if you have found that you aren't the best socially, have ritualistic behaviors/routines, and did not have developmental delays as a child). 

I can tell you, I certainly have a lot of "foot shaking" going on lol. From the moment I open my eyes in the morning, I start fidgeting in all kinds of ways. I also tend to pick my lips, chew on the insides of my mouth and tap my fingers. My husband (also AS) picks at his facial hair and rocks or sways back and forth. 

Hope that's helpful! Feel free to ask me any questions that you think of :) 

Quoting LauraT-H:

So I have been diagnosed with ADD, although when younger I was always moving. I am now shaking my foot as I write this. Tell me more, Please.I am still learning and am new here. Although I am not new.

Chocolatediva81
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

As mothers you know that your child is different. I noticed certain things my did,and even the way he played. He just seemed to be in his own little world and I just wanted to be in it.He didn't start talking until he was about 5 and that was only a few words.The highlight of my life is when he called me mama for the first time. He is 8yrs old,but he's mentally 3 as far as speech.He is moderate with autism,but he's very book smart,and has been drawing since he was 2 years old. I love him so much even though it gets rough sometimes.

A_McCool
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I, honestly, do not know how no one noticed that I had major issues as a child.  I suppose it was because I was rather passive and did amazingly well in school.  No one really seemed to care that I didn't interact with anyone much; I was just "shy."  No one really seemed to care that my locker was an absolute disaster; I was just sent out into the hall to clean it about once a month during class time (cleaning it meant that I just threw everything away).  No one thought it was odd that my mother had to bring me back to the school about once a week because I forgot my coat, my math book, my backpack, my lunchbox, or something else vitally important. No one thought it was odd that I chewed up every eraser, pencil, and pen that I owned. No one seemed to care that I was always incredibly clumsy and constantly tripping or bumping into the things.  I think from the time I was about 13 until I moved out of my parent's house at 19, I had a constant bruise on my hip from running into the corner of the table. No one thought it was odd that I didn't really have friends or understand how to interact with other people. I, also, stim (I chew on everything, I bounce my legs, I occasionally hand flap but not often) though not in a socially inapproriate manner so people just didn't think about it.

I had/have an incredible ability to memorize and regurgitate information; my vocablulary has always been very adult.  My brother would always think it was funny to pull a book off the shelf that I read years earlier and ask me about every little detail in it (I don't have the ability to summarize or determine which details are the most important so I just remember everything).  I, also, memorized/memorize lines from books, TV shows, and movies that I inserted/insert into random conversations.  I find it hilarious; most people find it confusing and not amusing at all.

My mom was totally confused and exasperated by the fact that I couldn't behave at home, but I did fine at school.  However, she never felt the need to say anything to anyone.  My uncle has told me many stories about me misbehaving as a child only to say that "I just can't help it" when asked why I continually did something.  I remember melting down on every shopping trip, and my mom having to cut all the tags out fo my clothes because "they were stabbing me."   I remember not being to control my tone or loudness of my voice (I'm still not good at it). 

Thinking about it now, everything about my childhood screams "AS," but no one noticed, and I didn't notice until my husband after 7 years of marriage pointed out my extreme oddness and awkwardness. I just went through the diagnostic process at a local college last month, and I am waiting for them to call me with the results.

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
My son was a toddler either 3 or 4 and he was SMART!! But his social skills sucked. Every month that we t by it was apparent that his social skills were far behind his peers but I always brushed it off; he's only 3, he's only 4!
At 4 1/2 the preschool said he should be evaluated. I had no idea what they would be looking for but he qualified due to very low social skills.
At the schools encouragement I took him to a dr. He never said "autism" but when the school wanted to label him with autism, the dr agreed.
We took him to an autism diagnostic center and they said he didn't have it. Not even aspergers or pdd nos. it was very frustrating!
Several months later the center called me for a follow up. They referred me to a neuropsychologist because I told them their team left me more confused.
The neuropsychologist diagnosed him with aspergers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahLynn1985
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Wow i was looking at that website you put up and just wow....I've never been diagnosed with anything but bipolar, manic depresssive, and anxiety disorder.. But dear lord all of that sounds just like me. I am a very "shy" "anti social" person...Unless i am drinking lol....But just wow

Quoting lady_katie:

Here's a link to some information on how AS manefists in females http://help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6a/wp_a58d4f6a.html 

If you find that helpful, I would recommend reading her book "Aspergirls" which goes into detail on the traits. 

Tony Attwood says that an ADD/ADHD diagnosis is a common pathway to a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, so it is possible that you could have been misdiagnosed (if you have found that you aren't the best socially, have ritualistic behaviors/routines, and did not have developmental delays as a child). 

I can tell you, I certainly have a lot of "foot shaking" going on lol. From the moment I open my eyes in the morning, I start fidgeting in all kinds of ways. I also tend to pick my lips, chew on the insides of my mouth and tap my fingers. My husband (also AS) picks at his facial hair and rocks or sways back and forth. 

Hope that's helpful! Feel free to ask me any questions that you think of :) 

Quoting LauraT-H:

LaurieMomof4
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM

It became obvious something was up with my son when he moved into the pre k room at preschool. He did not do well in a large busy class, moving from center to center drove him over the edge, he often covered his ears, didn't like finger paints, didn't interact with the other kids, often tried to run out of class to get away from the crowd and noise. After watching him in comparison to his peers on a fieldtrip I start to believe something was wrong and scheduled testing with the school district. When the school psychologist came back and said there were red flags for spectrum disorders I was devastated. I thought maybe ADHD, but Autism??? My child is so bright, articulate and funny, that can't be right, sure he's a handful... denial. We switched him to a special education preschool program, then he started in special education kindergarten. As he's gotten older it's become more obvious there are deficits in comparison to NT 5 year olds. We received our official diagnosis of Autistic Disorder/Aspergers in February.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)