Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Kid on the block looking for help

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello my name is Paula. I have a daughter that was diagnosis with Aspergers, mental phycosis and depression last May. I have done what the doctors told me to do. I have her with a phyciatrist every three months and then also a therapist. I have attempted to work with my daughters school but they dont recognize her issue as something that they can do anything about. They have her on a 504 plan but they only have her using an assignment notebook. She gets into trouble at school due to she lashes out when the teachers call her out in class. The school will not go easier on her with the punishment she is currently suspended at home. My husband has been the one taking her to all of her appointments because my current employment has a certain number of absences I can have a year. I have filed paperwork to be able to go to her appointments but I have to wait. My daughter is bullied at school because she is different. I get so sad dropping her off at school because I cant stop the kids from being mean. I have to wait until she opens up to tell me about something that happens at school and then I talk to the principal. It breaks my heart when she tells me she doesnt have any friends. I NEED HELP. I dont know what to do, which battles with the school to let go of which ones to continue. I dont know who to help my daughter have friends. I dont know how to help her with her education. Please any advise would be welcome. I dont want to make my daughter a victim or sound like one because of her disorder but I want her to have the same chances as everyone else. I want her to be happy. 

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Welcome to the group! How old is your daughter? Perhaps you could get the psychiatrist and therapist to speak to the school about how they can help her.

by Dawn on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! I know this is a difficult time for you. I would press again for the IEP ( and include all of her diagnoses in the letter along with a copy of her diagnosis papers with it. I would also recommend pressing for a behavior modification plan in place to help her with it. She might benefit from social skills therapy from a speech therapist. You can learn more about Asperger Syndrome at and You might be interested in joining NAMI (

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (

by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I would push for an IEP. From what you say she should have one. I would call your local Autism Support Group for information. Maybe someone has dealt with this issue. I agree with dawncs. Check into Wright's Law. Your daughter has rights and it sounds like they aren't giving them to her. There is a group called THEARC.ORG I would check them out.

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM

by Darby on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Welcome to the group mama:)  Big hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)