Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Weighted Sensory Blankets-- We made 2! PIC HEAVY with how we made them :)

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 31 Replies
3 moms liked this

Ok, so I will put my "instructions" that I gathered from multiple sites- I kind of threw together my favorite ideas from each site..  We bought 2 "no sew" kits off of joanns.com  (11$ each) size 60x48in and 8 yards of 45in muslin (around 20 dollars) and 10lbs poly pellets off ebay (around 22$)

We were going to make 4x4 squares BUT we decided for sanity sake to make 8x8 squares instead- much easier :)

(these blankets were bigger then 60x48- not by much BUT enough to drive us nuts)  we measured and cut each piece of fabric to 44x58ish

put the nice sides facing eachother and line the outsides with the muslin, pin and sew, turn rightside out.  Make a boarder about 3/4-1in in to reinforce the blanket.

On the solid side we made a grid using a yard stick and washable marker--- each square was 8x8 except the boardering ones, on my daughters they were 9x8 on the outer edge and on my sons they were 9.5x8 on the outer sides due to some extra fabric.

We sewed the channels going all one direction and then added the pellets (see below) to each channel and they would sew across. Repeat until last channel..

for last channel we turned the edges inward and sewed it shut and then completed making a boarder around the rest of the blanket to reinforce the edges.

We did 6lbs pellets for my sons (for a 4x4 pocket it was 17.67g and for a 8x8 pocket it was 70.68g per pocket)  with daughter it was 4lbs pellets (4x4 pockets 14.73 or for an 8x8 like we did it was rounded up to 59grams per pocket)

whoopsies, this grid was SUPPOSE to be on the OUTSIDE of the blanket on the colored side!  Trial and error!  but we finally got it down :) 

Finishing the last channel/ turning the ends in to make it look fancy

prefilled cups with poly pellets- these were for dd's blanket (59 grams per cup)

Ds's finished "GREEN TRUCK" blanket :)  He LOVES it- used it for a few minutes tonight but then didn't want it on, so we will keep trying :)  we were lucky he used it at all concidering his record with blankets

Ds's blanket spread out

Dd's "monkey" blanket :)

Hope this helps anyone interested in making blankets, they turned out SOOOOOO nice!  Only thing is they weigh more than the ammount of pellets... dd's was suppoes to be 4lbs BUT it is closer to 8! because of all the layers of fabric.. I'm assuming Nekos is closer to 10lbs-- his has a lighter muslin though then Amelia's had-- we ran out and had to buy more but had to buy it from walmart instead, theirs was thicker.. I figured its not a huge deal weight wise since they're so small and the blankets are so large- about the side of 2 crib blankets almost  so only around 1/3 to a half of the weight is on them at once and we will only be using for calm down tools until we talk to an OT about otherwise-- with summer coming I'm sure its not even going to be a thought for overnights :)

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice job! Violet would LOVE the monkey blanket

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow you did it!! I really want to do one too but my sewing machine hates me right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Those look really good. Wish I had your talent

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Thank you!   My hubby picked it out for her <3  I wish I could make these on my own or I would definately help make you one!

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Nice job! Violet would LOVE the monkey blanket

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Our sewing machine hated us at one point too ;)  You do a great job too on the ponchos you make!  <3  We were shocked we actually did it too!

Quoting mypbandj:

Wow you did it!! I really want to do one too but my sewing machine hates me right now.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM

my mom laughed and said they're not perfect :)  We're both so picky though but all in all for our first try with them they did turn out soooo good :)  I did all the measuring and filling and my mom did all the sewing  :)  I loved doing all the mathmatics of it but I'm not sure if I have the patience for the actual sewing of it yet :)  So much fun to make though- it was a good bonding project for us :)  <3

Quoting JTMOM422:

Those look really good. Wish I had your talent

kinshipcaremama
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Love the colors mama!  You are amazing!

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM

thank you!  we love the colors too-- dh and I, and my mom before she went back home (she lives out of state), have been using them like crazy- ds is still skeptical but he does love the patern of his and amy used hers while she napped on dh today :) more because dh was using it and then she snuggled in :D

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Love the colors mama!  You are amazing!

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow!! I'm impressed. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN