Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How do I prepare my daughter to move w/o a social story?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 8 Replies
We are moving in a couple months & don't know where to. I want to try to stay in this school district because she is doing do well & I don't want to change a good thing. Dh wants to move 1/2 hr south so he will be closer to work. Either way I can not create a social story w/o pics of new home that we don't have yet. Is there any way to prepare her w/o one?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM
4 moms liked this

You don't have to have actual photographs to make a social story. You can just draw stick figures and draw the pictures yourself.

there was a little girl. she loved to take a bath in her bathtub. she loved to swing in her backyard. she loved to watch movies on her tv. one day her family decided to move to a new house. they packed up her bath toys. They packed up her swing. they packed up her tv. The new house looked different. The new house smelled different. it was ok. Her mommy and daddy put her bath toys in the new bathroom. They put the tv in the new living room. and they put the swing in the new backyard. Now the little girl could still do everything she loved. She took baths in her new bathtub. She played in her new backyard. And she watched movies in her new living room!

Obviously, I just totally pulled that from my butt. LOL But I would pick three things that she likes and does that she will still be able to do at the new house. Then write the story and draw the pictures. Like I said, stick figures are ok. To make the new house part look different, use different colors. You can do it!!

Dora-rulz
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Thank you for the suggestion! Funny thing is the story you made up fits my dd perfectly lol. Those are her 3 fav things! Didn't even think of drawing pics cause I have always used real pics.

Quoting mypbandj:

You don't have to have actual photographs to make a social story. You can just draw stick figures and draw the pictures yourself.

there was a little girl. she loved to take a bath in her bathtub. she loved to swing in her backyard. she loved to watch movies on her tv. one day her family decided to move to a new house. they packed up her bath toys. They packed up her swing. they packed up her tv. The new house looked different. The new house smelled different. it was ok. Her mommy and daddy put her bath toys in the new bathroom. They put the tv in the new living room. and they put the swing in the new backyard. Now the little girl could still do everything she loved. She took baths in her new bathtub. She played in her new backyard. And she watched movies in her new living room!

Obviously, I just totally pulled that from my butt. LOL But I would pick three things that she likes and does that she will still be able to do at the new house. Then write the story and draw the pictures. Like I said, stick figures are ok. To make the new house part look different, use different colors. You can do it!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Jen had some great ideas...hugs and good luck mama!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Love the suggestions! Sounds perfect!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Quoting mypbandj:

I don't think they came from your butt LOL!

That's great!

Next time I need help with a social story, i know i'll be going straight to you !

Bluerose1482
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM

This sounds perfect. 

Quoting mypbandj:

minnesotamommie
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM
The other thing we did is when it came time to move we made sure to pack move and unpack all my dd's things in one day so her toys bed and movies were just transplanted having all that stuff out in the new house made her not even care about all the boxes everywhere
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I like Jen's idea too. Sounds like a great way to do it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)