Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Has you ASD child been to a Geneticist?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 20 Replies

My DDs developmental pedi wants her see a Geneticist as she has autism along with 2 heart defects. (VSD, PDA). 

I was just wondering how many other kids see one? Thanks!! 

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM

No we have never had a Geneticist recommended for our son.

Koltie6
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM
No! The Dr we see as well as many parents have said that it really changes nothing as far as treatment goes. The wait is usually long and I felt it was better to go ahead and get on the road to healing what we can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM

No

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM
No!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakesMommy527
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

We went once when Jacob was 1st DX'd and had blood drawn. They found no abnormalities so we never had to go back.

Jenn8604
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
He had blood drawn when he was first dxd to check for fragile x and other things, he had nothing abnormal. Never had to see a geneticist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Genetics don't change anything, so I can't see the point. As much as doctors might like to explain autism through genetics, they very rarely find a connection. So no, we have not done any testing for that.

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Yes, my son saw one back a few years ago.  She was the one who diagnosed him with Aarskog Syndrome and 16p Chromosome Duplication after blood testing was done.  She was also the one who referred us to a neurologist to get a brain MRI.  Without her, we wouldn't know what we do today:)  Everyone is different, and we benefited greatly from seeing her.  We haven't seen her since though...no reason to.  I will say that my child has much more going on that just Autism though...Autism wasn't the reason we went to see her.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Yes both my ds's and my dh...they all have the 16p11.2 deletion syndrome, which pretty much explains why they all have autism. It doesn't really change anything, but it's nice to know the cause.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN