Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Maybe summer school?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM
  • 26 Replies

What do you ladies think about summer school for ds that absolutely needs something to do over the summer? With me being in school, hubby working most of the time, dd that doesn't leave him alone and his need for strict structure, if the school district provides it, do I jump and take it? Does that make me a mean mom? Did I mention that he is about two years behind on reading and writing? Will not do worksheets sent home for summer. Help?

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unusualmom
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:12 AM

If you can get him in esy then I would.  I know our school system wont do esy unless its approved by the iep board.  

I tried to get my nt dd in esy and they said no - even though she was a grade level behind - and took speech.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:26 AM

If the school system provides it and he needs it, then go for it!  You can always try it and see how it goes.  Good luck mama!

dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with unusualmom about ESY services (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) in regards to extended year services. It would be free for your family if he qualified. It is primarily for students who regress in progress if they are out of school too long. I have seen newspaper articles about it, and it has included social skills therapy for HFA and Asperger Syndrome students as a part of it.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

Siobhan69
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes! My ds is going this year for the first time and I am excited for him. I think it helps to prevent any regression that may happen. You are not a mean Mom at all. This is a great thing and you should jump at the chance. There are many families that do have a choice and would love to have this for their child. So I say go for it!
mommy4lyf
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

My son attended 3 years of ESY (Extended School Year) and he loves it. He's an only child so being around other kids helps him a lot too. It's only 3 days, Tues, Wed and Thurs and from 8:30-11:30. The best part, he likes riding the school bus to school. Check out with your son's teacher. They include that in his IEP if he got one. They will review if your child qualifies.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

If you can, do it.  My son has gone and now he will be going to summer Voluntary Prekindergarten classes program.  In Florida it is a choice for parents to send their child too.

SAMI_JO
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Yes ma'am you take whatever they offer you. I have a feeling that it would be way more relaxed than school. I send my son to autism camp every year. I don't know what I would do without it.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM
We sent him the first year they offered it... For one day. Our school system HAS the absolute WORST esy services in the whole country I think. The kids were basically in a dark room the side of a wLk in closet watching movies... All ages were out together and regardless of aggressive behaviors. While the paying summer school kids went on trips, baked, played outside, etc.

Say yes if they offer it but go check it out for yourself first!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Ashton did ESY the year between kindergarten and 1st grade because we switched schools in kindergarten and had fallen behind. ESY for him was only 3 days a week for 6 weeks and he actually enjoyed it.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Our school disrtrict is the same way. Ashton qualified the summer after kindergarten but  not the summer after first grade and it's still up in the air about this summer but it's not looking like he'll qualify.  Ashton really liked it so I wish I could get him in again.

Quoting unusualmom:

If you can get him in esy then I would.  I know our school system wont do esy unless its approved by the iep board.  

I tried to get my nt dd in esy and they said no - even though she was a grade level behind - and took speech.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN