Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I am requesting full day in his Autism Pre-K class in his IEP! The other one was a fail so help me word this PLEASE!

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 10 Replies

He is in an Autism class 2 1/2hours a day another kid in his class has full day and his Mom has let me use that in my son's new IEP he just had one a month ago but did not go well.  They did not let my advocate, advocate.  Said they needed an administrator present and his supposed "progress" was like honestly not really progress but a regression in December and him learning the stuff again.  Well I want to request full day but how would you word justifying why he needs it to the school?

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

bump! I think you need a professional educational advocate mom. The educational advocate i am using is kinda big bucks (but WAY less than private school) and is KNOWN around the county for getting results and yet maintaining a friendly, professional relationship b/w parent, teacher, and school.

LADYxGHOST
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this

i would say something like this:

As you are aware my son's progress is not suggnificat at this time. He actually seems to be not progressing at all. I feel this is greatly due to the fact he spends so little time actually in the educational environemt and given his needs and the short time left before the end of the school year, I believe it best fro him to attend full days. This will allow him to spend more time inmersed in the education he is intended to be learning. Spending just 2.5 hours does him no good, as his results show. By the time he settles in and acclamates to the classroom, it is time to go. He spends so little time in the class it really is not a familair or comfortable place for him. As you are aware Autisitc children need routine and familarization to really comeout of thier shell and be productive individuals. Spending less than 8% of his week in the classroom environment is not benificial to him. He needs more time in the environment to be able to get the most out of the education being provided. He needs to be preparing for Kindergraden and this is not preparing him for the next step. At this rate he will be less prepared for pre-k than he was when he actually started this program and I do not beleive that is in the best interest of the child.

all4gumby
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I would immediately request another IEP and ask for an IEE at public expense.  I would argue that 2-1/2 hours per day is not an "appropriate" educational placement for him.

"Free appropriate public education that includes special education and related services designed to meet the child's unique needs and prepare them for further education, employment and independent living..." 20 U.S.C. 1400 (d)  Source: WrightsLaw, From Emotions to Advocacy, page 5

Alma4Mom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Quoting all4gumby:

I would immediately request another IEP and ask for an IEE at public expense.  I would argue that 2-1/2 hours per day is not an "appropriate" educational placement for him.

"Free appropriate public education that includes special education and related services designed to meet the child's unique needs and prepare them for further education, employment and independent living..." 20 U.S.C. 1400 (d)  Source: WrightsLaw, From Emotions to Advocacy, page 5

I do not think he needs an IEE they agree with his diagnosis we have the neurologists letter the dev pediatrician diagnosis and genetics clinic info but regarding the IEP I already requested it and told them they needed to have an administrator present. I was looking for this Free appropriate public education article thanks so much another Mom had told me about it.

all4gumby
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

An IEE is not just for the diagnosis, it can be a new evaluation to obtain services.  For example, I thought that my son would benefit from OT services and the school OT disagreed.  So, I asked for a new OT evaluation under an IEE at public expense.  For your son not to qualify ofr a specific placement, they are required to provide "Prior Written Notice" which includes all of the options available and state as a team why they are not "appropriate" placement for your son. So they should have evaluations to show why the 2-1/2 hour placement is appropriate, which you can request it to be done by a private company through an IEE at public expense.

If you disagree, do not sign, and follow the due process procedures.  

emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Personally, I think part time school should be used temporarilly if needed and transfer to fulltime.  That is the only way kids with Autism will learn.

Quoting LADYxGHOST:

i would say something like this:

As you are aware my son's progress is not suggnificat at this time. He actually seems to be not progressing at all. I feel this is greatly due to the fact he spends so little time actually in the educational environemt and given his needs and the short time left before the end of the school year, I believe it best fro him to attend full days. This will allow him to spend more time inmersed in the education he is intended to be learning. Spending just 2.5 hours does him no good, as his results show. By the time he settles in and acclamates to the classroom, it is time to go. He spends so little time in the class it really is not a familair or comfortable place for him. As you are aware Autisitc children need routine and familarization to really comeout of thier shell and be productive individuals. Spending less than 8% of his week in the classroom environment is not benificial to him. He needs more time in the environment to be able to get the most out of the education being provided. He needs to be preparing for Kindergraden and this is not preparing him for the next step. At this rate he will be less prepared for pre-k than he was when he actually started this program and I do not beleive that is in the best interest of the child.

Alma4Mom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Quoting all4gumby:

An IEE is not just for the diagnosis, it can be a new evaluation to obtain services.  For example, I thought that my son would benefit from OT services and the school OT disagreed.  So, I asked for a new OT evaluation under an IEE at public expense.  For your son not to qualify ofr a specific placement, they are required to provide "Prior Written Notice" which includes all of the options available and state as a team why they are not "appropriate" placement for your son. So they should have evaluations to show why the 2-1/2 hour placement is appropriate, which you can request it to be done by a private company through an IEE at public expense.

The weird thing about this IEP was I did not have the option to sign. And regarding the IEE I will have to further research it then thanks. Oh and he gets 40 minutes a week of one on one O.T. in school and 40 minutes one on one S.T. in school oh and get this it is broken up to 10 minutes 4 days a week! It takes his outside O.T. 30 minutes to get him regulated to learn just think how much time is being waisted in school by splitting it up oh and she does them in class with everyone else in there!

all4gumby
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

You didn't have an option to sign the IEP?  That doesn't sound right, did they just make the decision and then tell you?  If that is the case, they are in violation, as you have the right to participate in these decisions as a team member.  

Quoting Alma4Mom:

Quoting all4gumby:

The weird thing about this IEP was I did not have the option to sign. And regarding the IEE I will have to further research it then thanks. Oh and he gets 40 minutes a week of one on one O.T. in school and 40 minutes one on one S.T. in school oh and get this it is broken up to 10 minutes 4 days a week! It takes his outside O.T. 30 minutes to get him regulated to learn just think how much time is being waisted in school by splitting it up oh and she does them in class with everyone else in there!

Alma4Mom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Quoting all4gumby:

You didn't have an option to sign the IEP?  That doesn't sound right, did they just make the decision and then tell you?  If that is the case, they are in violation, as you have the right to participate in these decisions as a team member.  

Quoting Alma4Mom:

Quoting all4gumby:

They just handed me copies and stated they would mail me the full version which I never received.  Yeah that is why I requested a new one!

all4gumby
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM

WOW!  I would contact the state department of education and file a complaint immediately to let them know you mean business.  I would also contact the Office of Civil Rights.  What they did is illegal!  If nothing else take a written complaint to the IEP meeting that you have scheduled and "accidentally" leave it in their view during the meeting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)