Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM
  • 6 Replies

i have a 4 year old autistic son hes been diganosed since age 2. ive been trying the potty for awhile somedays he seems intersted other days not. lately when i have him sit on the potty he will sit but wont go. he walks around holding himself like he has to go i get him on the potty he wont go and still continues to act like he has to go. he just holds it in all day till he gets his pullup on. i dont know why he does this he has went pee on the potty before ive rewarded him with candy and cheering. im worried bout him holding it in all day also. he will be 5 this year he is very smart goes to preschool, still learning to talk. i just dont know what to do he will be 5 in septmeber and im pregant with twins and raising them by myself i just need help please.

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM

We started potty training Ashton when he was 4 and in preschool (his preschool worked with us on it) and it took almost a year to train him and then we had to get him to poop on the potty but by age 6 he was out of pull-ups for good (he needed them at night up until then). What we did was used a pecs chart that showed step by step what he needed to do. We had him stand because he hated to sit (that's why pooping on the potty took longer). We don't use sticker charts or rewards (didn't work for him). He is a very routine child that thrives off of routine so potty training was very routine. We took him every half hour at first and then 45 minutes, an hour..etc until he learned to tell us when he had to go.  At first I was all stressed about it and that caused him to stress. Once I learned to be patient and consistent things got better. During this time I also trained my 2.5 year old dd and she trained in 3 days so I was feeling more confident. Ashton like Elmo's Potty and would quote that movie often..it was a big help. Overtime he got the hang of it and then he was able to go on his own at home and preschool and was completely trained by kindergarten.  He still forgets to wipe his butt sometimes and he is 8.. And washing his hands..I am always having to remind him to do both..little booger!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Congrats on twins! Wow! Do you know the genders yet?

amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

It might be time to stop the pull ups and put him in regular undies with plastic pants so that he can feel the wet when he goes.

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM
My son is 5 and in the same situation. It's like he's made the decision not to pee in the toilet when he used to. Hang in there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
concernedmom987
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM
thanks yes two boys.
concernedmom987
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM

so u had pics of every step of using the potty? did u have it i the bathroom? im just using the toilet and putting small potty ring on it for him to sit on it not using a potty chair i wonder if i should he likes thomas the train and toy story alot maybe i could use them some way. it is stressful trying to do this. though when i want him to take a bath and he dont want to he then wants to use the potty but dont go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)