Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Southeast Wisconsin Services

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi,

We are relocating to Southeast Wisconsin from California.  I am trying to determine what services are available for our family.  I would love to join a local support group. I will be looking for ABA  therapy, developmental pedicatrician, psychologist, and a good patient dentist.

I am concerned about public education, if you know any private schools in the area that specialize in Aspergers that would be very helpful.  Due to SC public schools, my son will be starting 7th grade reading at a 1st grade level.  That scares me and my husband and what his future will look like without proper interventions.  

Any help, suggestions, or ideas are greatly appriciated.

Shelley

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Welcome!  I live in Virginia:)

all4gumby
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Thank you! :)

amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM

That's quite the trip!  I wish I had some info for you, but that part of the country is out of my area of expertise. ;)

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Welcome! From your previous reply mom, i think you are way more knowledgeable than me! lol

That said, i think i might look into lindamood-bell. They are expensive as hell but there are some school districts which partner with them and get services with them. I use to be a reading tutor with them and their methods really are great. If you pair their methods with ABA, i think that would be gold!

all4gumby
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  Unfortunately the school system where we are currently located uses the lindamood-bell program and it is not appropriate for my son.   He has a processing disorder that makes reading and writing almost impossible.  

I may be knowledgeable, but I am always looking for new information, especially when it comes to helping my kids.  We have changed schools 6 times (military moves) since my kids started school and each time they pull something that makes me due more research, learn the laws better and know my rights.  I went from believing that the schools had my childrens best interest to knowing that they only care about how much it will cost them.  

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Welcome! From your previous reply mom, i think you are way more knowledgeable than me! lol

That said, i think i might look into lindamood-bell. They are expensive as hell but there are some school districts which partner with them and get services with them. I use to be a reading tutor with them and their methods really are great. If you pair their methods with ABA, i think that would be gold!

lovinlogan
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

hi what area of wis are you going to? we are making a move to appleton this summer. i am not really sure about schools and programs yet in general since logan is only starting kindergarten this fall

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Quoting all4gumby:

Thank you.  Unfortunately the school system where we are currently located uses the lindamood-bell program and it is not appropriate for my son.   He has a processing disorder that makes reading and writing almost impossible.  

I may be knowledgeable, but I am always looking for new information, especially when it comes to helping my kids.  We have changed schools 6 times (military moves) since my kids started school and each time they pull something that makes me due more research, learn the laws better and know my rights.  I went from believing that the schools had my childrens best interest to knowing that they only care about how much it will cost them.  

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

You mean in california? What school district is that?
all4gumby
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting all4gumby:

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

You mean in california? What school district is that?

Yes, here in Southern California (Los Alamito's Unified School District) they offer the Lindamood-bell reading program.  

all4gumby
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Quoting lovinlogan:

hi what area of wis are you going to? we are making a move to appleton this summer. i am not really sure about schools and programs yet in general since logan is only starting kindergarten this fall

We are moving to Waukesha, WI, which will be the Kettle Moraine School District.  I am not familiar with the Appleton schools, but if you are military there are several statewide resources that I would be happy to share with you.  

brennan5882300
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I live in a western suburb of Chicago.  I've heard of this place:  http://archmedicalcenter.com/  They are a biomed place, but they might know of local resources for what you're looking for, like a local parents group?

We are just about to try vision therapy (www.covd.org) for my son who is in 5th grade.  His reading comprehension is at a less than 1st grade level, but he can decode like a 10th grader.  If your son qualifies under certain diagnosis codes and your insurance (through the military?) honors it it may be an option?  Or have you tried this?

I love the midwest, but I don't know how I would feel about leaving CA!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)