Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hi,

We are relocating to Southeast Wisconsin from California.  I am trying to determine what services are available for our family.  I would love to join a local support group. I will be looking for ABA  therapy, developmental pedicatrician, psychologist, and a good patient dentist.

I am concerned about public education, if you know any private schools in the area that specialize in Aspergers that would be very helpful.  Due to SC public schools, my son will be starting 7th grade reading at a 1st grade level.  That scares me and my husband and what his future will look like without proper interventions.  

Any help, suggestions, or ideas are greatly appriciated.

Shelley

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Replies (11-14):
all4gumby
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I am lookin for any helpful resources, I am sure that there are sevices offered that I haven't heard about.  I know we need ABA therapy, OT, and a Developmental Pedicatrician.  I would love a parent support group, because it is going to be tough.

We have the Military insurance.

I haven't tried vision therapy, please let me know how it goes, I would love for my son to read better.

I am going to miss California.  This week we hiked to the Hollywood sign, saw the Endeavor shuttle, and took a train to San Diego, it was a cool week here at 60 - 70 degrees, Wiscosnin will be a bit of a shock for our systems next winter...even the summer rain will be a shock.  When we moved here I thought it was very strange to go four months without seeing rain.

Quoting brennan5882300:

I live in a western suburb of Chicago.  I've heard of this place:  http://archmedicalcenter.com/  They are a biomed place, but they might know of local resources for what you're looking for, like a local parents group?

We are just about to try vision therapy (www.covd.org) for my son who is in 5th grade.  His reading comprehension is at a less than 1st grade level, but he can decode like a 10th grader.  If your son qualifies under certain diagnosis codes and your insurance (through the military?) honors it it may be an option?  Or have you tried this?

I love the midwest, but I don't know how I would feel about leaving CA!  :)

brennan5882300
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Wow your week there sounds amazing!  Wisconsin is very pretty but in a different way--lots of lakes and forests.  Folks from IL travel up there for recreation quite a bit.  Milwaukee is pretty since it's right by the lake, and Chicago is not a far drive or train ride.  I've been in the Chicago area for most of my life and think people are pretty nice here, but they seem even nicer up there.  I hope that you find that, too.  :)

Does your new school district have a special education association?  Sometimes you can get referrals from other parents through those.

I hope you are moving spring/summer.  That is a very nice time to be in this area as long as you don't mind the humidity!  :)

Quoting all4gumby:

I am lookin for any helpful resources, I am sure that there are sevices offered that I haven't heard about.  I know we need ABA therapy, OT, and a Developmental Pedicatrician.  I would love a parent support group, because it is going to be tough.

We have the Military insurance.

I haven't tried vision therapy, please let me know how it goes, I would love for my son to read better.

I am going to miss California.  This week we hiked to the Hollywood sign, saw the Endeavor shuttle, and took a train to San Diego, it was a cool week here at 60 - 70 degrees, Wiscosnin will be a bit of a shock for our systems next winter...even the summer rain will be a shock.  When we moved here I thought it was very strange to go four months without seeing rain.

Quoting brennan5882300:

I live in a western suburb of Chicago.  I've heard of this place:  http://archmedicalcenter.com/  They are a biomed place, but they might know of local resources for what you're looking for, like a local parents group?

We are just about to try vision therapy (www.covd.org) for my son who is in 5th grade.  His reading comprehension is at a less than 1st grade level, but he can decode like a 10th grader.  If your son qualifies under certain diagnosis codes and your insurance (through the military?) honors it it may be an option?  Or have you tried this?

I love the midwest, but I don't know how I would feel about leaving CA!  :)

smarieljlee
by Sara on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM

There are a ton of options for support in that area. I am in the fox valley so I really cant help you with schools.  There are ABA services all over the area.

http://www.asw4autism.org/

www.assew.org

all4gumby
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Thank you.  That would be great.  Do you know if there are any private schools for Autism in the Waukesha area?

Quoting smarieljlee:

There are a ton of options for support in that area. I am in the fox valley so I really cant help you with schools.  There are ABA services all over the area.

http://www.asw4autism.org/

www.assew.org

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)