Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Happy Easter! How to explain GOD to an ASD child?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 6yo DS ASD (moderately affected)I have no idea how to explain GOD to him.  Any thought?

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I just say God made us and everything around us and loves us :)

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe that God is our Heavenly Father. So I explain it to him that way. It's easier to comprehend I think a Heavenly Father better than just God in general.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Great ideas so far,thanks!  My problem is that God is such an abstract,and DS is soo concrete of a thinker.

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I would get some children's books. Or let him watch veggie tales or something similar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OFIH
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I have read my kids a lot of Bible stories. They really like The Jesus Storybook Bible. I even like it. It's fun and short pieces. I keep them very short, VERY short with colorful pictures. I pray with them each night, even when they don't/didn't participate. We pray with them at meals and during the day at various times (thankful prayers, asking for help, etc). We go to church. We just chat about God in the car, at night, etc. Until very recently it was just us, as the parents, talking. My kids are now starting to either speak about God themselves or ask questions. I pray, a lot, on my own that God will reveal Himself to them in a way they understand.

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN