Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

If you have a nonverbal child

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

What do you do or say when a stranger talks to him and he doesn't answer? I never know if I should just say nothing and just smile or tell them he has autism or what. He's 2.5 now, so people are defintely expecting a response. I have no problem with people knowing he has autism, but I never know when the volunteer the information when people are interacting with him.

I always tell him if he insists on being adorable then he needs to start talking, because people always want to talk to cute kids. 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Very cute, what you tell him about being adorable. I think you can tell strangers he is just shy at this point, LOTS of two year old kids don't do much talking to people they don't know. As far as friends and family I think they should just keep talking to him and one day he will decide to try and start answering. My girlfriends son wasn't talking at 3.5 and they were a mess about it...not a WORD! Then one day at dinner he said "can you pass the salt?" When she asked him later why he never talked he said everyone else was talking so much he couldn't find a chance. I think sometimes our kids need extra time to do things and gentle environments to try. Give him plenty of time to respond in quiet comforting ways... good luck!  XO

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

My son will be 5 soon. He can name food and stuff out of a book. Or if it just mom and dad around. He will say sometimes what he wants. But if it's not someone he don't know he won't talk. So I just tell them he has autism.  I always try to get Jacob to say hi or by to his friend. But no luck yet. But one boy looked at his dad and Said Jacob don't say much.  I'm just happy if he says one or 2 words to the teacher. 

TwilightMom815
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I would just say hes shy (we did that).

BluntlyBlue
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually go with "he's not much of a talker." It usually works (like you, I don't automatically share info, unless it's specific to the conversation)

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually answer for him

johnns
by Johnna on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this
I had a hard time with that also. You can go with shy for awhile. Its funny, when people talk to Sally, she knows to have a response, but sometimes its not 'hello', but 'Cinderella'. Cracks me up, its her backup word. If all else fails- Cinderella!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
unusualmom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My 11 year old is non verbal.  I just dont say anything.  Its not their business.  As long as my son isnt rude were fine.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM

My son is still pretty young (20 months) so it hasn't happened with an adult yet, but it did happen with a child, and I didn't know what to say! The kid asked me "why won't he talk?" and I was like uhhhhhhhh lol. After a few seconds my brain turned back on and I mumbled something like "he hasn't learned how yet, he's still very little". It really caught me off guard though, and I should probably figure out a better response for when he's not 'very little' anymore! 

AMom29
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Depends on what the situation is.  Typically, I kind of play it off as if he's shy (people kind of expect that, anyway). 

Snoopybaby11
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I would just say hes shy for now, especially since hes young.

This is so cute! One time ay a football practice a dad was trying to talk to my 3 yr old (at the time) about football  and my son was completely ignoring him when all of a sudden he says "I eat my boogers" and walked away. I almost died. lol

Quoting johnns:

I had a hard time with that also. You can go with shy for awhile. Its funny, when people talk to Sally, she knows to have a response, but sometimes its not 'hello', but 'Cinderella'. Cracks me up, its her backup word. If all else fails- Cinderella!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN