Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Town has a full time program, 3 year old PDD boy but they want to send him to another town??!! Help

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok what's the deal! My son is about to turn 3 and has been with Early Intervention since he turned 2 years old. He was diagnosed with PDD a month before turning 2. Now I want him to go to my town school, full time, but they are telling me that his needs are greater than they can handle. They want to send him to South Bergen Jointure Commission in Maywood NJ. My town is about 10 minutes out. Does this sound wrong to anybody else? Any advise? I feel all the test that the town did on him OT, speech, etc. were fair and the results were low but that is what he scored. Going to another town just sounds wrong to me... help!! 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

No, if their program isn't sufficient (and they say it isn't), I would keep an open mind and look at the program they are recommending. They will offer bussing if it's not local, or if you choose to drive, you generally get reimbursed for mileage. That's how it works here anyway.

Take a look at the other school.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I'm in NJ as well but much farther south. Consider yourself lucky! We know of others who's kids clearly deserved to go to such a school and had to fight the school systems to get approved. It costs several tens of thousands of dollars to send kids to these schools! I can't believe they'd admit to not being able to meet his needs!

Check the school out and see how you feel about it! Also go to the NJ group here on Cafemom and ask if anyone is familiar with the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

In Special Education (http://www.wrightslaw.com/), there are many different levels of placements. These placements are based on diagnosis, but they are also on the functioning level. I know this sounds wrong, but in reality, the school district want the best education which meets his needs. However, you can fight it based on Least Restrictive Environment principles. You might want to check out http://www.autism-society.org/ and http://www.thearc.org/.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

ChristinaNJ
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Thank you for taking the time to respond! Yes I will be looking at the school next week. I just kind of felt like they were saying.. your kid is way to disabled and we dont want to deal with it... but yeah if they are paying and hopefully by kindergarden he can go back to our town school. Thank you! 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM

It sounds to me that the other town may have the better school system for your son. If they can't handle his needs and the other school can it sounds like the best choice.

MamaFrankie
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I lived in Jersey, Nutley. That's a GOOD thing they're sending you to another school. it's basically saying, We don't have the needs to best fit your child, so we are sending him to a school that will let him shine an give him the education he rightly deserves

Quoting ChristinaNJ:

Thank you for taking the time to respond! Yes I will be looking at the school next week. I just kind of felt like they were saying.. your kid is way to disabled and we dont want to deal with it... but yeah if they are paying and hopefully by kindergarden he can go back to our town school. Thank you! 

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

ChristinaNJ,

Some schools do not have the teachers or therapists with proper training for kids on the spectrum. I know how you feel. There is a school 10 mns away from my house, instead my son is sent to a school almost 40 mns away. But the closer one does not have the units he needs.

Kids go to Early Steps or Early Intervention, which is an infant-2 years old program. As soon as they turn 3 and have an IEP, they are public school ESE students. Sorry, it will be an adjustment. I'm sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)