Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Giveaway: How much do we have in common? Share Your Autism Story & WIN!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Share your story so we can all get to know you better.

• Tell us about yourself and your child and anyone you know who has been touched by autism.
  • Share any details and information on when diagnosis on the autism spectrum was suspected, treatments, therapies, etc.
  • Share stories on the wonderful times and challenging times!

Then, see what the other moms are sharing and if you find a mom that has a story similar to yours, quote that mom by clicking on the "QUOTE" button to share what you have in common!

The more information you share about yourself, the more chances you will have of finding others that share something in common with you!:)

jigsaw ribbon

Three Moms who reply to this post by April 30th at 11pm will WIN a CafeMom Coffee Mug!

Here are links to more giveaways dedicated to Autism Awareness Month:

The Giveaway Rules:
The Share Your Story Giveaway starts 4/2/13 at 9am (ET) and ends 4/30/2013 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom Coffee Mug.
The random drawing shall occur on or about 5/7/13. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM

So cool that you run a group at church specifically catered to families who live with special needs!

Quoting Charizma77:

My name is Carissa

I'm 35

Born, raised and still living in PA (near Pittsburgh)

married to my high school sweet heart Dan for almost 15 yyears

my dh is a pastor of our  church and our family is very iinvolved 

We run an autism support group/play group at our church once a mmonth 

We have a Saturday night service at our church once a month geared towards adults and kids with special needs, sensory issues..etc.. But anyone is welcome to come wworship

i have 3 amazing kids.. My 8 yo son has pdd.nos (dx 5 years ago) I have a 6 yo dd who wants to be a fashion designer and a 15 mo son who keeps me very busy and wants to keep up with his older siblings

i like coffee, taking pics, going for walks, watching sports (die hard Steelers and Penguins fan)  talking..I talk a lot...and making new friends.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Hi Emma,

Can you tell us more about using animals for therapy?

Quoting kajira:

Im emma, i'm 27 and autistic - my son and I were diagnosed together last summer. He's special needs with other disabilities/mental health issues on top of autism, but he's stable and that's what matters.

I don't mind being autistic and am glad to finally have answers.

We do more holistic methods of helping have a healthy mind and body and we homeschool. We use animals for theurapitic purposes and find it greatly enriches our life. We spend a lot of time as a family and I think that's very healthy for us.

We do social activities in structured environments, which I think it works out better.

I blog about it, but I don't think it's all that interesting to read. LOL

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:46 PM

It sounds like Logan is a cool kid despite his sensory and language issues.  He rocks for not having accidents in March!

Quoting lovinlogan:

we are still on the journey for our son. we have logan who will be 6 in june ( the special needs one), chloe is new 4 and remington will be 2 in a few weeks. we didnt really start looking into logans behavior/ struggles until he was about 4. we put him iin a private preschool and had a rude awakening that our son has issues. he was on a red light every day (meaning he got in bad bad trouble). so then i started reading and trying to find stuff out. he really didnt start talking until after two but he said enough that no one was worried. it was a fight to get him to put clothes on and to be honest i was dressing him at 3 and didnt think anything of it until a church friend said he should be dressing himself. right now we have a diagnosis of sensory processing disorder and pragmatic language disorder with a referral to go to another clinic for further eval for asberger. i brought up the SPD after a lot of reading. i knew i just needed someone with  authority to say it. logan wont wear clothes if we arent going anywhere for the day and when he does it is only sweat pants. before i figured this out we fought about getting dressed. i dont understand why he ccouldnt just say i dont like the feel of this but that goes back to the language disorder. i finally really figured it out when he was about 4 and saying this tickles my skin. there are so many feelings that he hates and i never knew. since i figured out he has issues and i have been reading up on and learning about them and making changes accordingly the daily struggles have greatly reduced! it is amazing. we have struggled with him going potty in his pants (both) and sitting in it, not changing his clothes or saying anything. he would let poop fall out his pants and run around in it and play in it. this past month has been great though! the whole month of march no accidents! the reason i joined this group is because when i read posts about what other moms were dealing with and how their kids were...most of it sounded just like what i was dealing with from logan and i would go to bed crying thinking about it and wondering if logan really is autistic. a lot of people have brought it up with me so i feel like other trustworthy people have voiced concern, maybe it is worth looking into. even though i dont have a diagnoses for autism i feel the greatest connection here with what i am dealing with.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate that whole "overconcerned parent" thing.  I think it's important to listen to your mommy instincts and anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't got a clue!

I hope he loves Kindergarten this fall.

Quoting ReachtotheStars:

I am Krista, I have 2 boys 2 & 5.  

Nick, 5, has autism spectrum disorder.  

His official full diagnosis took over 6 months.  

Around 9 months I became very concerned with his lack of everything I remember in a baby from working in a day care.  

He didn't laugh, smile, or even consider playing with a toy.  He never once raised a teething toy or anything to his mouth, and he was still refusing baby food.  

He had started crawling early around 4 months and was very good at it.  He would crawl in circles or sit against a wall and bang his head.  

He really didn't do anything not even babble, he was mute.  

I went to Early Intervention and was given an evaluation for him around 11 months after at 9 months his doctor said he thought autism.  

The evauators told me I was an over concerned parent.  I was furious and learned that he was evaluated at 6 months because he wasn't yet 1 year old.  

I took him to a developmental pediatrician which was a waiting list to get on.  At about 13 months we were told he had a sensory processing disorder.  

We went back at 18 months.  That visit she apologized to me and said he had autism specturm disorder and would likely never speak.  

At that point he got Early Intervention and had an amazing set of therapists.  

He started walking, and saying words.  He is just now at 5 starting to use the words to get his needs met, but he had words.  It was amazing.  

After years of school and therapy he is going into kindergarten next year with a one on one aid in a regular ed class with pull out therapy.  

I am so happy with his progress.  

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Interesting, I'd never heard of Shadow Syndrome.

Quoting LadybugsMonkeys:

Hi my name is Char. I am a mom of 4 (ages 15, 12, 10 & 8), middle two have special needs. My husband and I have been married for 16 years. We live in the Northwest corner of Ohio. While my son, (10) tested for Asperger's he was to old to get dx with it. So they labled him with Shawdow Syndrome, basically meaning a little bit of this and that.  He has 26 different lables, from Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, OCD, all forms of anxiety, fine and gross motor delays, cognitive delays,  apraxia, dispraxia and so on.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I'm sorry you're feeling in the dark due to your ex husband.  Hopefully your son will be able to still be helped with his possible diagnosis.

Quoting occumommy:

My name is maria, i am 33, i grew up wth a step-mom who was a special needs teacher, i started learning about autism when i was young, when mom would sometimes babysit a friend of hers` son. When i had children we started to suspect my daughter Was on the spectrum,when she was around 5 but her dad refused to have her tested. When DS1 was around 3 we started to suspect him as well, and their father we suspected for a long time.....all 3 were dx aspbergers late last year. I am learning new things everyday. Ds1 is still being tested for sensory issues, though because their dad and i are no longer together, and he assumed the control over medical, i am kinda stuck in the dark a lot....

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Rachel!  Life must've been so hard for your brother, and for you, knowing that he wasn't stupid just different.  I hope things have improved for him since then and I'm really glad that things have been different for your cousin and your son.

Quoting newmommy430:

Hi. I'm Rachel. I'm a sister, cousin, and mother to people diagnosed with autism.

I grew up with a brother with autism. When we were kids, very few people knew what autism was. His former pediatrician, before my parents switched, didn't even know what it was. He told my mom that he didn't talk because he was spoiled. This was back when the stats were 1 in 10,000. I have gotten into a few fights with other kids calling him the "R" word growing up too.

For my cousin, things were better. He was diagnosed earlier. He is verbal and even made honor roll. He really cracks me up with some of the things he says. So cute!

My hope is that my son will have acceptance and understanding as he grows. Logan will be 4 at the end of the month. I notice a huge difference in how he is treated by others and the services that are offered to him than with my brother. The progress he has made is amazing. He's amazing.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Thanks, we just got a call today from our local newspaper and they want to do a story on our group (Unhindered). They are coming tomorrow to take a pic of my hubby and Ashton :)

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

So cool that you run a group at church specifically catered to families who live with special needs!

Quoting Charizma77:

My name is Carissa

I'm 35

We have a Saturday night service at our church once a month geared towards adults and kids with special needs, sensory issues..etc.. But anyone is welcome to come wworship

i have 3 amazing kids.. My 8 yo son has pdd.nos (dx 5 years ago) I have a 6 yo dd who wants to be a fashion designer and a 15 mo son who keeps me very busy and wants to keep up with his older siblings

i like coffee, taking pics, going for walks, watching sports (die hard Steelers and Penguins fan)  talking..I talk a lot...and making new friends.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Oh, that's fantastic Carissa!  You'll have to share it with us once it's been published.

Quoting Charizma77:

Thanks, we just got a call today from our local newspaper and they want to do a story on our group (Unhindered). They are coming tomorrow to take a pic of my hubby and Ashton :)

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

Quoting Charizma77:

My name is Carissa

I'm 35

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I will!

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

Oh, that's fantastic Carissa!  You'll have to share it with us once it's been published.

Quoting Charizma77:

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

Quoting Charizma77:

My name is Carissa

I'm 35

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)