Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
So we got the official diagnosis of Autism with our daughter in January of this year, yes I've had my up's and down's and still trying to process and navigate my days! I have accepted it and I'm working daily educating myself trying diet changes, supplements, various therapies which have all helped and she has made small but wonderful improvements! However I have this nasty thorn sticking me in the side constantly! Which happens to be my mother in law!!!! I understand we all process things at our own pace and in our own ways! She is constantly asking what is Callie's new word today !? Is she talking more to her brother now!?hows her speech therapy homework going!? She is an RN and always preaches how important education is! , but apparently she hasnt educated herself on the subject of Autism! I'm just soo tired of her ignorance in this issue! We need support not scrutiny! I have suggested websites to her and tried to maintain patience with her but I have had it and about to lose it with her! Any suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Replies (11-11):
lml07
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I too can feel you too. My son just strated to see a therapist and she is saying sensory disorder and most likely Aspergers. My parents are more understanding due to dealing with my brother when we were kids with his ADHD and Dyslexia. However my inlaws think differently.They were not all supportive when at the age of 2 I had my son's speech evaluated. MIL said that it was normal and he would grow out of it. We found out he had a condition called VPI where his soft palate was too short and he would never be able to talk understandabley unless it was corrected. MIL still didn't think it was needed and that he just needed time. Day after his surgery we could actually understand him. I am treading on glass with what I share with my MIL. She knows he is going to therapy to help anger issues and that he may have a sensory disorder, which she accepts. She does not know that he is on the autisim spectrum though. My MIL is like my second mother, but she does get stuff like this. I told my husband if he wanted her to know he could tell her. My hubby is still in denial about it I think. It is so hard to get him to talk about it. I try not to talk to people about it because I find most don't understand and because he is high fx most people can't see it and don't understand the issues we deal with at home, meltdowns and such. I am more blunt and may be it is wrong that I don't talk to MIL or hubby's family about it, but I guess that is me trying to protect myself and my son. I agree to try to explain it in simple terms. It also sounds like she is trying to be involved but doing it in the complete wrong way. I sympathize and pray things get better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)