• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vacation ideas

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 7 Replies
We are planning our vacation for this summer, four kids, 17, 14, 12 and 6, and our 12-yr old is our child with Aspergers. Trying to think of things that would be fun for all ages and Asperger friendly. Any ideas?
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:29 PM

My 12 year old would be in heaven if we went somewhere like Legoland.

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Well, that's quite a range of ages - what a challenge.  Disneyland or Disneyworld frequently have things for thrill seeking older kids and the child that still believes in princesses and toys that come alive.  You might have to split up the kids based on likes/dislikes but there is a lot of variety.

Here are some other vacations we have done that can have appeal to a range of ages:

Houseboat - expensive but fun; you will need access to a ski boat, tubes, wakeboards.  You can use up a lot of gasoline dragging kids around on a lake but it is fun for them.  We like doing houseboat vacations.  The more kids the better although life vests for non-swimmers are must.  Our rule is that if you are not a strong swimmer you have to wear a life vest if you step out of the cabin.

Cruise - they have various kids clubs that will appeal to various ages.  We went on a cruise when our daughter was six and she loved the little kids club.  There also were kids clubs for tweens and teens.  Recently there have been lots of cruise boat breakdowns so...

A resort of some kind - we went to one that was near Tucson.  There was a wonderful pool, tennis, golf, horseback riding, desert gardens, a kids playground, and nearby tourist sites. 

Driving trip with hotel stays along Route 66.  We visited a ghost town, horseback riding, stayed in one hotel that had been a miner's rooming house.  This kind of vacation takes lots of planning on your part.

Rent a pop-up trailer and go camping to a special state or national park. 

Now all vacations are somewhat dependent on your particular aspergers child.  We did a trip to New Orleans when our daughter (aspergers, GAD with specific phobias, depression) was 10.  With her phobia of death & dying and all the voodoo, black magic, etc -- well it wasn't a good idea and it didn't go well although she did like the swamp tour.  We also did a trip to Dallas when our daughter was 4 and I think she would have liked it if we permanently moved into the Dallas children's zoo.   I hope this gives you some ideas for a fun vacation.

all4gumby
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

What part of the country or state are you looking at?  

We are going ATVing this summer at Arches NP in Utah.  Last summer we went through the Jelly Belly Factory and Red Woods in Northern California.  Camping at Big Sur is fun. We have done Many things around Southern California.  My kids loved NASA in Flordia, and Walt Disney World. The Kalahari Inddor Water/Theme park in the Wisconsin Dells is a lot of fun.  The Great Smokey Mountains and Pigion Forge TN is great.  Road-trip Route 66 has a lot of attractions, my kids esecially love Pops in Arcadia.  Grand Canyon in Arizonia, we only spent 1 day here, but could have spent a week.  Mall of America in Minnisota has a lot of options, the Aquarium and indoor Camp Snoopy got high marks from my kids.  Hawaii has a lot of options, the sand and waves was very calming for my boys.   

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I'd go to the beach!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Mine loved Disney! We also are close to the beach and boardwalk and he loves those also. I think you should ask him ...maybe show him these places online and see what makes him happy!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I'm all about the beach and parks!

clsnader
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Thanks, beach works pretty well, we are actually from Nebraska, but our main vacation is usually visiting family in PA, so we've sometimes made a side trip on the way to the beach for a couple days.  Yes, Legoland is ideal for our 12-year-old, but probably not so much for the two older ones.  Oldest pretty much goes with the flow, but our 14-year-old girls is very opinionated about what she likes/dislikes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)